Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 JKUS Overland Project

Old 12-28-2017, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 JKUS Overland Project

Hello everyone, my name Tony and bought a 2016 JKUS earlier in the year and finally reached the point of modifying it. I went on a couple trail ride trips with my local off-road and Jeep clubs to see what the JK can do stock and was really surprised.
At any rate let’s get to brass tax. I am wanting a hybrid overland/rock crawling rig, as I want to hide in the middle of nowhere but also want to continue to do the crawling trips with my Jeep groups.
I currently have Carbon chromoly rear axle shafts (bent mine in Hawk Pride ORV in Alabama), TeraFlex Overland Outback lift, Falcon 3.3 shocks, MT Classic 3 alloys (17x9), and 35” BFG KM2.
Now I have done a ton of research and listened to a ton of friends and group members on everything I purchased, but the knowledge depletes as I get into what I want to do with my Dana 30. Many members have done the UD60 swaps, but I have the overlanding plan in my head and want to keep weight down which got me looking at the Tera44 with the full float conversion. That is why I am posting this thread. Can anyone give me any advice or drop some knowledge on me for the Tera44 with a full float conversion?

I may be beating a dead horse on this subject but I couldn’t find anything in the search results.

BTW I am thick skinned and do well with blunt responses so don’t hold back. Oh and Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

It's not that the TF44 with the full float conversion couldn't fit your needs, but dang.....the cost would never add up in my mind. Blowing that kinda money has to be on a 60 IMO, regardless of weight.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't have any experience with aftermarket assemblies other than drooling over them but I had the $$ I'd go with the Dana/Spicer Ultimate 44. Looks like they go for around 4k but complete with locker and your choice of gearing along with a list of other improvements. Honestly wouldn't worry about the weight, it probably wouldn't be much of an increase and besides, thats adding some beef where it counts!
Old 12-28-2017, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
It's not that the TF44 with the full float conversion couldn't fit your needs, but dang.....the cost would never add up in my mind. Blowing that kinda money has to be on a 60 IMO, regardless of weight.
Yeah thats what is going on in my head, and I am quite the 'read a lot and research before doing anything' and everthing I read was "keep weight down" is the only reason going away from the 60. Looks like I am going to be doing more digging into the 60's. Thanks again sir!
Old 12-28-2017, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lowendrider
I don't have any experience with aftermarket assemblies other than drooling over them but I had the $$ I'd go with the Dana/Spicer Ultimate 44. Looks like they go for around 4k but complete with locker and your choice of gearing along with a list of other improvements. Honestly wouldn't worry about the weight, it probably wouldn't be much of an increase and besides, thats adding some beef where it counts!
I haven't see the UD44, but I will now as well as the UD60.
Thanks sir.

Quick Reply: 2016 JKUS Overland Project