Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.5 inch lift, adjustable track bar or track bar bracket?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5 inch lift, adjustable track bar or track bar bracket?

My 3.5 entry level rock krawler just showed up and I am going to install it tomorrow. My buddy on island will give me an adjustable rear track bar for a little over 100 bucks. The kit however already comes with a bracket that bolts to the factory bracket on the axle side and ive read that this places extra force on an already questionable bracket. What would you folks advise, keep the bracket and save some money or spend the money and have peace of mind with an adjustable bar?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I read the FAQ btw and it said bracket for 3 inch lift but recommended an adjustable bar for a 4 inch lift. I figure I have found myself in a grey area here.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The track bar brackets that come with lift kits are designed to avoid the need for a longer (adjustable) track bar.

They are designed to compensate for both changes in length and geometry imposed by the lift kit.

An adjustable track bar will only compensate for the change in length by shifting the axle laterally, it will adjust for the steeper track bar angle.

If the bracket is well designed and reinforces as well as extend the stock bracket, the bracket can be a better option.

The problem is that some brackets are poorly designed and when attached to the stock bracket they fail the stock bracket.

Track bars are application specific because they are shaped to clear the axle and other suspension components as they rotate through their arc motion so an adjustable track bar may not work with the bracket even if it adjusts to the stock length.

Also keep in mind that the stock track bar has OEM bushings which are designed for longevity, a compliant ride and do not require lubing.

The choice is yours.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how the install goes and post some pics please. I'm going to be orderIng this kit soon

Originally Posted by style_front
My 3.5 entry level rock krawler just showed up and I am going to install it tomorrow. My buddy on island will give me an adjustable rear track bar for a little over 100 bucks. The kit however already comes with a bracket that bolts to the factory bracket on the axle side and ive read that this places extra force on an already questionable bracket. What would you folks advise, keep the bracket and save some money or spend the money and have peace of mind with an adjustable bar?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default Front Track Bar?

May I add a question to this issue?

Why do most kits only address the rear track bar? I have ordered a Rough Country 3.25" kit which comes with a rear track bar bracket. Will I need to add a front adjustable track bar?

Quick Reply: 3.5 inch lift, adjustable track bar or track bar bracket?