Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

3 inch teraflex lower control arm not lining up

Old 08-30-2010, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 inch teraflex lower control arm not lining up

Hey everybody,

I'm installing a teraflex 3 inch lift kit with lower control arms. I can't seem to get the passenger lower front control arm to line up with the axle mounts, any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 3 inch teraflex lower control arm not lining up

U prob have to push down on the pumpkin. U might have to push the axle toward a Tad also.

Sent from my Droid
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi

Default Re: 3 inch teraflex lower control arm not lining up

Push axle forward a Tad. Sorry.

Sent from my Droid
Old 08-30-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rachet strap will pull it forward, also a floor jack under the pumkin and kick the hell outta the tire forward.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

make sure both control arms are the same length eye to eye.

it helps having two jacks, one on the pumpkin and the other below the axle bar.

you can have one side droop and the other higher depending on which arms needs to be manipulated into place.

what also helps is having one of those tools used for lining up holes. you can bend the eyes to line up with the hole as you squeeze in the bolt.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just went through this a little over a week ago. With the frame supported, you should be able to move the jack around to get pressure where you need it to line everything up. I used a combo of jacking the backside of the pumpkin/yoke, ratchet strap tied back to the transmission x-member, and pry-bar. Even though the instructions say to replace one at a time, I found it easier to pull both of the lowers at the same time, so the length was closer. Just make sure the axle is supported until you have at least one of the new ones back in place.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default Lower Control Arm Balls are Crooked

Thanks Guys for your input! Got it in. Next question, the ball on the lower control arms seems crooked. I called tech service but I didn't get a sufficient answer so I turn to the forum. Attached you will find the pictures.

I followed the instructions which stated the zerk should be up, but it seems weird for that to be the case given the low clearance in the axle mount (looks like the zerk is touching the axle mount) and the difficulty servicing it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00073-20100831-1245..jpg
Views:	84
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	85124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00075-20100831-1246..jpg
Views:	63
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	85125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00074-20100831-1245..jpg
Views:	70
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	85126  
Old 08-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RabidYellowRhino
Thanks Guys for your input! Got it in. Next question, the ball on the lower control arms seems crooked. I called tech service but I didn't get a sufficient answer so I turn to the forum. Attached you will find the pictures.

I followed the instructions which stated the zerk should be up, but it seems weird for that to be the case given the low clearance in the axle mount (looks like the zerk is touching the axle mount) and the difficulty servicing it.

You should be able to loosen the jam nut and rotate the flex joint so it's not sitting in there crooked. The Flex joints have 2 holes for grease zerks, 1 will have a allen head plug in it. So you can relocate the zerks as needed.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RabidYellowRhino

You want the arms to be straight. so, you got to loosen up the HUGE nut that keeps the joint from rotating and then pry the "eye" with a heavy-duty screw driver, and it can only be done if that nut is loose. as for the zerks, i had mine the same way as you. you'll have to take off the arm when you grease the zerk.

Quick Reply: 3 inch teraflex lower control arm not lining up