Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" Lift Problems

Old 01-15-2007, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, i will try removing it. so without the track bar what will occur? my axle will not be centered? how will that effect ride? or do i need to remove and add a adjustable track bar? it is a little disconserning that they design the kit with this and it is not correct! or that they make a product that when installed is not correct and causes problems. i am new to lifts but this doesn't seem like a "true and complete kit" as they advertise, if the parts they supply don't correct driving issues.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the "holes don't line up" problem with my Full Traction kit as well. I drilled out the hole slightly till I could just get the third bolt to fit with some help from a dead blow mallet. Then I cranked everything down really well. I don't have any issues with mine. However, I am going with an adjustable track-bar ASAP to eliminate the bump-steer I have now.

-E
Old 01-15-2007, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

every jeep is different. it's bizarre, but it's true. something that works on someone else's rig may not work for yours. an adj. track bar really is the way to go. you can pull your bracket now, and you will be a little off center, or just deal with the DW until the new one comes in.
remember, you'll be scared, but you are still in control.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xravn
ok, i will try removing it. so without the track bar what will occur? my axle will not be centered? how will that effect ride? or do i need to remove and add a adjustable track bar?
Your front axle will simply be off center just a bit. As far as your ride goes, it may cause some tracking at highway speeds. If you can get an adjustable track bar, that would be the best option.

it is a little disconserning that they design the kit with this and it is not correct! or that they make a product that when installed is not correct and causes problems. i am new to lifts but this doesn't seem like a "true and complete kit" as they advertise, if the parts they supply don't correct driving issues.
But it is a "true and complete kit" that will effectively lift you 3". However, what you need to keep in mind is that this is an "Economy" kit as in the basic of basic. Now, if you had purchased an Ultimate or even Premium kit, you would have gotten all the components you need to set everything right. but then, that would have cost you twice or maybe even three times as much. I guess what I am trying to say is that you need to put things into perspective.
What you have is a great 3" lift that is ready to be upgraded.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:24 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by degenerate
every jeep is different. it's bizarre, but it's true. something that works on someone else's rig may not work for yours. an adj. track bar really is the way to go. you can pull your bracket now, and you will be a little off center, or just deal with the DW until the new one comes in.
remember, you'll be scared, but you are still in control.
Exactly, in my experience, virtually every Jeep is a little bit different. As far as getting an adjustable track bar goes, that is the best option and I should point out is even included in the more expensive kits. The track bar relocation bracket is in essence a budget fix that'll do the job but maybe not as well as a true adjustable track bar.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Like someone stated in another forum, the jeep is built within certain quality control limits. Lets say they range from -5 to +5 with 0 being the perfect. Anything that falls within that range is acceptable, safe, and built correctly. There is no way to know where in that range each component of your jeep is. Some jeeps come off the line at the 0, some more towards one of each end of the range, and some at the end of the range. This means nothing to someone who doesn't modify their jeep. It will function just as well as any other jeep produced that passed the QC.

Now, Fulltraction all produces their lifts with a control limit. So, they also have a range of -5 to +5. Lets say your jeep was at the -5 and the lift you got was at the +5. Both were considered Quality products by the company and the industry standards. BUT your holes didn't line up quite right and would need a drill run through them. Or you could have a little bumpsteer that others don't have, or death wobble, or etc.

Really, I agree that an adjustable track bar would solve the problem, and actually make the whole jeep better. The trackbar is a bargain at 179. I bought one for my truck and it cost me 250 and it wasn't adjustable.

Bryan
Old 01-15-2007, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I see your point of view and maybe i am just new to all this but i just still don't see how a kit can be designed "econo" or "Premium" or whatever. and not function correctly. if the relocation bracket is a budget fix, then it should fix the problem. whether it is budget or not otherwise it is not a fix and not working. the adjustible track bar is great, and i am forced to get one now, but as i understood things it is an upgrade feature that will let me dial in minor adjustments like weight compensation form winch, bumper etc. and yes perfectly correct this issue as i am understanding now. my issue is whether it is econo or ultimate it should be engineered to not have these drivablity issues. maybe i am expecting too much as a customer to have parts fit correctly and function as intended... or maybe this is an isolated instance. but an "Upgrade" should be just that an upgrade to better adjust or tune or improve something. not to Correct an issue the original part was faulting at.
either way i am just left unsatisfied and confused as a customer.
BUT HEY ITS A JEEP THING RIGHT!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I see your point of view and maybe i am just new to all this but i just still don't see how a kit can be designed "econo" or "Premium" or whatever. and not function correctly. if the relocation bracket is a budget fix, then it should fix the problem. whether it is budget or not otherwise it is not a fix and not working. the adjustible track bar is great, and i am forced to get one now, but as i understood things it is an upgrade feature that will let me dial in minor adjustments like weight compensation form winch, bumper etc. and yes perfectly correct this issue as i am understanding now. my issue is whether it is econo or ultimate it should be engineered to not have these drivablity issues. maybe i am expecting too much as a customer to have parts fit correctly and function as intended... or maybe this is an isolated instance. but an "Upgrade" should be just that an upgrade to better adjust or tune or improve something. not to Correct an issue the original part was faulting at.
either way i am just left unsatisfied and confused as a customer.
BUT HEY ITS A JEEP THING RIGHT!
Well, the track bar relocation bracket does solve one set of problems, and keeps you from getting uneven tire wear, etc. It just creates another issue, namely bump-steer. This is something that, while annoying, can be tolerated. So I'd say that is the thought process behind it.

I agree with the fitment issue, it seems like everyone I've talked to that installed this kit had to do some work to get the outboard hole on the track-bar relocation braket to fit. I doubt this is an issue of combined tolerances as a previous poster suggested, since it always seems to be the same bolt hole that everyone has problems with, and always about the same amount of error. If it was just tolerance issues, there would be an equal amount of complaints for ALL the holes not lining up. I've only talked to about 3-4 people aside from myself who did this kit though.

-E
Old 01-15-2007, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake_Blues
I don't have any issues with mine. However, I am going with an adjustable track-bar ASAP to eliminate the bump-steer I have now.
This is the other thing to watch for when doing your research. No offense, but if you were to stop reading the above after "I don't have any issues with mine.", you would miss the fact that even though he doesn't think he has issues, the reality is that he does. He has bump steer. While he may not think it's a problem, others may read and get the feeling that a xx" lift can be installed with no problems. It may be something he can deal with (probably not since he is upgrading trackbar), but you may not like it.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

I see your point of view and maybe i am just new to all this but i just still don't see how a kit can be designed "econo" or "Premium" or whatever. and not function correctly. if the relocation bracket is a budget fix, then it should fix the problem. whether it is budget or not otherwise it is not a fix and not working.
But that's where I would disagree. Your Jeep is lifted and it is drivable and if you install the additional bolts, I would argue that you might not even have the DW that you think you experiencing. Have you tried that yet? If not, I don't see how you could be making this statement. Also, even if you still have some issues with how the ride is compared to stock after installing the bolts, I would still have to say that it works, just not as well as would a better solution such as an adjustable track bar.

the adjustible track bar is great, and i am forced to get one now, but as i understood things it is an upgrade feature that will let me dial in minor adjustments like weight compensation form winch, bumper etc. and yes perfectly correct this issue as i am understanding now.
Unfortunately, you understood things incorrectly. A track bar is designed to hold your axle in place and centered under your Jeep and weight from a winch, bumper, etc. would have little to no bearing on it.

my issue is whether it is econo or ultimate it should be engineered to not have these drivablity issues. maybe i am expecting too much as a customer to have parts fit correctly and function as intended...
Unfortunately, every Jeep is different plain and simple. As far as function as intended goes, I'd have to ask based on what? Just because you aren't happy with how things function doesn't necessarily mean they aren't functioning as intended. Granted, they may not be performing as well as you would like but that's a separate issue. In the end, you are modifing a Jeep and on a budget. If you expected things to function like stock, I think you are expecting way too much.

but an "Upgrade" should be just that an upgrade to better adjust or tune or improve something. not to Correct an issue the original part was faulting at.
Yes, an upgrade to your track bar will do just that, "better adjust" or "tune" or "improve" the ride of your Jeep. If something is already "correct" why would you need to "better adjust" or "tune" or "improve" anything?

Quick Reply: 3" Lift Problems