Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3000 RPMs at 60 mph. Need Help.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCuevas08
exactly in low gears it feels like I barely move and already I need to change gear. My mpg is like 12 right now on roads and like 15 mpg on highway lol.
This gearing isn't right for you. nthinuf is right about your options, which aren't great.

1. Change gears for ~$2k

2. Get bigger tires, which is fun and everything but you're inviting a host of new issues and I'd bet will still leave you unsatisfied. I'm on 37's with 5.13s and it's still pretty much like you're describing.

3. Deal with it. That's never a fun option though, your Jeep should be what you want.

I'd bet those gears are in there for offroad performance at the expense of daily driving because you have the higher ratio transfer case and the person that put them in there wanted a better crawl ratio. For the use you're describing, 4.88 is probably where you want to be. You'll lose some gumption offroad but it'll serve you much better for daily driving. Or throw a Rubicon transfer case in it and get the best of both worlds.

The following users liked this post:
MrCuevas08 (02-24-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Another option would be to see if someone local to you wants to swap axles plus cash. They get the gears they're ready for and you get a comfortable DD gear until you're ready to conquer your own build.
The following users liked this post:
MrCuevas08 (02-24-2019)

Quick Reply: 3000 RPMs at 60 mph. Need Help.