Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33'' Tires on Stock sport wheels, do I need spacers?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TCJK11
Thanks guys. I am planning on running AEV's 2" lift.

Those of you who have been talking about rubbing, was that without a lift or with a lift? I was thinking 2" lift and 1.25 spidertrax spacers will eliminate the rub.
I am lift-less (till spring) and the Spidertrax are available in only one size, 1.5".
Old 02-26-2012, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those of you who have been talking about rubbing, was that without a lift or with a lift? I was thinking 2" lift and 1.25 spidertrax spacers will eliminate the rub.
I will tell you tomorrow after my lift.. I will have my 33" w/spacers stock wheels and a AEV 2"BB
Old 02-26-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lotus F1
I will tell you tomorrow after my lift.. I will have my 33" w/spacers stock wheels and a AEV 2"BB
Awesome! Can't wait to near how it turns out! Post a before and after pic too!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See my pic above. Tera leveling kit.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CerOf
See my pic above. Tera leveling kit.
I saw your pic above. The teraflex leveling kit only levels and doesn't lift at all. The AEV kit is a small let in addition to the leveling.

Correction, just noticed TF also adds a small boost to the back as well.

Last edited by TCJK11; 02-27-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:12 AM
JK Super Freak

I saw your pic above. The teraflex leveling kit only levels and doesn't lift at all. The AEV kit is a small let in addition to the leveling.

Correction, just noticed TF also adds a small boost to the back as well.
It lifts the front 2" and back 1".

If you disconnect and do not trim your stock flares or increase your bump stops, you will rub with a 33" tire off-road.

My photo has the wheel barely turned and you can see a piece of plastic torn off. My tires are considered 33" but actually measure about 32.25"x12" wide.

People can say you will be fine all day; however, I'd tell them to disconnect, and go flex it. Take a pic to prove it.

My photo above is in direct conflict with all those saying you'll be fine.

Now, if you do not disconnect, you might be. I don't know. Haven't had the chance to test that.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

I'm no expert but....

1. 33" is just a diameter. It's not as simple a question as saying "Will 33's fit with...."
Because the width of a tire alters clearances too you really should specify what you are interested in running, and what your intended uses are doesn't hurt either.
From what i've researched a 33" tall 285 wide tire is about the limit of dimension for a stock offset wheel setup w/o spacers. If you disconnect then you might get a little contact in full flex/reverse situations.
1.25" or 1.5" spacers should help clear that without issue.
It's simply not as simple as it sounds when you factor in all of the other possibilities.
- Stock or after market bumpers(weights) will alter clearances.
- Tire brands of the same listed size vary in actual dimensions.
- Disconnected/extreme off-road articulation vs. mild trail use vs. dedicated mall crawler.
- Stock or aftermarket/trimmed fenders.

2. The Teraflex leveling kit involves spacers, 1~2" in front, and 1" out back. It's not much of a lift, but it IS a lift, and it will cure sume rubbing issues.

Personally, i'm confident that 285/70/17's will fit my stock JK wheels just fine,....but to eliminate rubbing possibilities i'll be mounting them to 8.5 wide wheels with a 4.75" offset. The offset will help clear the inner suspension/chassis parts, and a Teraflex leveling kit will help clear the fenders under heavy/disconncted articulation.
There are some extreme off-road cases where I might still rub, and i've read about some drivers saying you need flat fenders and 2.5" of lift to clear 33's, but my off-road excursions will be limited, so i'm not worried about extreme conditions.

Keeping it simple is a good idea, but you have to think about all the variables too.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

My specs are as follows:

COMPLETELY STOCK w/ AEV 2" spacer kit
- Stock Bumpers
- 2dr with rear seat removed (gear weight will be added on trips)
- 2011 6-speed (but for this question, this shouldn't make any difference)

Tires I plan to run are:

Toyo Open Country M/T: LT285/75R16 126P E/10 (33X11.50R16)

Offroading is Mild on Weekends. Mostly Mud here in Louisiana however, I've been planning another trip back to Colorado this summer to do, again, some mild trails. When in mud, I never undo the swaybars, however this summer I will be.

I guess at this point, I've come to the conclusion that I should just pick up some 1.5" spacers for the wheels.

Last edited by TCJK11; 02-27-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Again, i'm no expert but that sounds like about a perfect combination then.

The spacers will get you the clearance from the chassis/suspension you need, and the 2" spacer lift should give you plenty of vertical clearance with the 33" tall tires, the load, and the use you are indicating.

You might still contact the stock fenders undwer extreme articulation, but it sounds like that will be a very rare circumstance. The only issue I can think of now is the 1/4" or so lateral offset your axles will have with the stock track bars in combo with the lift, but you should be fine regardless.

I think the 2~2.5" lift looks really good with 33's too, especially when the tires are flushed out to the fenders with wider wheels/spacers. I wish I still lived in CO, i'd love to get my Jeep out there.
Good luck with your setup
Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AEV 2.0 BB, Duratrac 275/70r18, RC 1.5" Spacers, Stock Sahara Wheels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0336.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	282904
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0332.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	282905  

Quick Reply: 33'' Tires on Stock sport wheels, do I need spacers?