Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33's with no lift, ESP activating

Old 03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33's with no lift, ESP activating

Put 33" tires on last week (No lift yet) and it has been running fine in the city. I took it to the mountains a couple of days ago and the ESP kept activating on the curving roads. Must have activated 7-8 times. The first time it scared the crap outa me and my daughter.

I've taken it to the mountains a few times before the 33's went on and it never activated. I've read on here where guys with a lift have had ESP issues but havent seen anything about it happening with just an upsize in tires.

Anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions other than slowing down on the curves, which did help.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeepCacher
Put 33" tires on last week (No lift yet) and it has been running fine in the city. I took it to the mountains a couple of days ago and the ESP kept activating on the curving roads. Must have activated 7-8 times. The first time it scared the crap outa me and my daughter.

I've taken it to the mountains a few times before the 33's went on and it never activated. I've read on here where guys with a lift have had ESP issues but havent seen anything about it happening with just an upsize in tires.

Anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions other than slowing down on the curves, which did help.
get it flashed for bigger tires and get this tsb done:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-re...iating-a-curve

i'm sure there's more you should do, but i'm not one of the mechanical gurus around here. i just mentioned the basics
Old 03-20-2007, 11:49 PM
JK Freak

You know what, mine activated without any modifications at all on a Rubicon model. I wasn't going into the corner too hard at all (about a normal or below normal speed) and the thing started pulsating and whatever else....
Old 03-21-2007, 12:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is strange as I have 33's with no lift right now and have no problems.

Can there be a sensor that is not positioned or adjusted properly?

Maybe mine was made on a Wednesday.....
Old 03-21-2007, 01:16 AM
JK Freak

I've read on here about getting it flashed. What exactly does that mean? Can only the dealership do it or can someone else. Ref the TSB, I saw it says 4x2's built before 11/06. I have a 01/07 build 4x4. Wonder if they'll still do it.
getting it flashed just means getting your internal computer's software upgraded. also, my JK was build just a month ago and i've seen this happen. it doesn't cost them anything to do it, just ask persistently/firmly/nicely.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bighaeb
You know what, mine activated without any modifications at all on a Rubicon model. I wasn't going into the corner too hard at all (about a normal or below normal speed) and the thing started pulsating and whatever else....
Pulsating is right. My daughter started yelling at me..."Dad what are you doing...stop it."

What exactly do you guys mean pulsating? do you mean that the brakes kick in abruptly to correct the oversteer?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:39 PM
aas
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DadsCJ
Maybe mine was made on a Wednesday.....
Mine was made on a wednesday...TODAY!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by joedude
What exactly do you guys mean pulsating? do you mean that the brakes kick in abruptly to correct the oversteer?
The Jeep feels as if it is trying to slow you down through a corner. I assume the sensors feel the body roll, and if it's too excessive, the brake assist will kick in.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

its done it to me before and it freaked me out the first time around a exit ramp i wasn't going at a speed that was dangerous. i can only assume its a good safety feature if you really are out of control
Old 03-21-2007, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Did you have the service department update the Jeep to 32" wheels?

Quick Reply: 33's with no lift, ESP activating