Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35's with 2.5 TF BB- it does RUB!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 35's with 2.5 TF BB- it does RUB!!!

I read post after post about this before ordering my 20" XD Rockstars and 35" NITTO Trail Grapplers. From what I read, there would be no rubbing if you are using wheel spacers. Well....I have the 2.5" TF BB and 1.5" Spidertrax on, and I put the tires and wheels on last night. This morning I was turning into work and heard a god awful "farting" noise. Turns out at full turn, the tires were rubbing the stock bumper at the plastic ends. Had to go home at lunch and saw off about 1' on both sides of the bumper...worked like a charm.

Just in case anyone else is planning on doing this, make sure to either change the bumper first or saw that sucker off! Needless to say a Rugged Ridge XHD stubby is on the way!

Here is Sara sitting pretty on her new shoes! I hope the pic works...losing my "picture posting virginity" right now!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TST PICS AND VIDEO 040.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	38185  
Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I borrowed 35s from Goodyear in Moab during EJS. After hearing the farting noise (nice description) I promply went back to the hotel and hacked off the inside corners. The set up I borrowed included spacers as well as offset wheels (ended up with too much offset sticking the tires out). Now that I have properly offset wheels without spacers, I do not think I would have rubbing issues if I had the full bumper on. Either way no big deal, very few walking by would notice the trimming.

Welcome to the club.

Originally Posted by NeverStock
I read post after post about this before ordering my 20" XD Rockstars and 35" NITTO Trail Grapplers. From what I read, there would be no rubbing if you are using wheel spacers. Well....I have the 2.5" TF BB and 1.5" Spidertrax on, and I put the tires and wheels on last night. This morning I was turning into work and heard a god awful "farting" noise. Turns out at full turn, the tires were rubbing the stock bumper at the plastic ends. Had to go home at lunch and saw off about 1' on both sides of the bumper...worked like a charm.

Just in case anyone else is planning on doing this, make sure to either change the bumper first or saw that sucker off! Needless to say a Rugged Ridge XHD stubby is on the way!

Here is Sara sitting pretty on her new shoes! I hope the pic works...losing my "picture posting virginity" right now!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why are you running the spacers? I am confused! What is the back space on them Rockstars?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

wait, are you taking about the POS brush gaurd/ air dam/ pastic thing? is so, rip it off and trash it!

If you talking about the actually bumper itself (i see you have stubbied it as well) thats awfully strange. Im sure your talking about the POS piece of plastic though. My 33's even rubbed on that thing so dont worry about it!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Rockstars and Cowboy fans....perfect match and a problem waitin to happen!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toad
I had a TF 2.5" lift when I put my Toyo 35s on...and low and behold...they rubbed! Every time we would drive over a dip in the road, I would hear the scraping sound f the tires in my wheel wells. So, it was then and there that I decided I had to go taller...no matter what. I say, if you plan on going 35s, get yourself a 3" lift, no matter what the manufacturer. (I went to a 4" TF)
or just trim your fenders
Old 03-04-2010, 02:46 AM
JK Newbie

Default There .....

..are 4 bolts on the back of tht plastic bumper. Just take it off it looks way better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00017.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	38195  
Old 03-04-2010, 03:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It ain't like it's a big CIA secret that 35s rub with a 2.5" lift. It says so right in the FAQ pages. Duhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcrouse
Welcome to the "I cut my stock front bumper to fit larger tires" club.

mmm.......maybe need to come up with a shorter name
ICMSFBTFLTC

Ya, maybe you could shorten that up
Old 03-04-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Super Freak

35's, 2.5 lift here, no rubbing....that is, after i "took care" of the air dam thing. even before that, though, i only got rubbing at full turn, and could only hear it in reverse.

Quick Reply: 35's with 2.5 TF BB- it does RUB!!!