Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's- No Lift- MetalCloak Overline Fender (not a mall crawler)

Old 01-02-2014, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35's- No Lift- MetalCloak Overline Fender (not a mall crawler)

Hi guys, just purchased a 2007 2 door JK Rubicon. I have read (searched) everything I could in regards to lifts and fenders. However I could not find the information im looking for anywhere.

I want to install: MetalCloak Overline Fenders

My Goal: To run 35inch tires with stock suspension retaining full articulation.

Question: Will I need to install longer bumpstops effectively decreasing my articulation?

Thanks! Attached is a pic of my Jeep!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000909.jpg
Views:	973
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	520690
Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

What is your backspacing going to be?

A quick call to MC is probably your best bet. Wish I could give you a specific answer on that, but backspacing will surely come into play.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just guessing here, but id bet it will be very close and you may not need the bump stops added. you just might make it. If i recall the stock shocks are about 15" compressed and 8" travel, but i dont recall how much of the shock was used on the stock set up. The mc fenders offer like 6" more uptravel.

Last edited by Maertz; 01-02-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Yes I did call MC before posting; They told me the Overlines will fit 37inch tires on stock suspension with no issues or bumpstop extension.. I find it extremely difficult to understand that claim. So I concluded the person on the phone had no idea what they were talking about.

Then I posted here! haha

I do not know what my backspacing will be, whatever it takes to get the job done!

Last edited by mikestyle; 01-02-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mikestyle
Yes I did call MC before posting; They told me the Overlines will fit 37inch tires on stock suspension with no issues or bumpstop extension.. I find it extremely difficult to understand that claim. So I concluded the person on the phone had no idea what they were talking about.

Then I posted here! haha

I do not know what my backspacing will be, whatever it takes to get the job done!
if thats the case id say youll clear the 35s then.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

Yes I did call MC before posting; They told me the Overlines will fit 37inch tires on stock suspension with no issues or bumpstop extension.. I find it extremely difficult to understand that claim. So I concluded the person on the phone had no idea what they were talking about. Then I posted here! haha I do not know what my backspacing will be, whatever it takes to get the job done!
Why not? You have to run their fenders (no fenders, cut fenders etx) and have proper back spacing on the wheels but it can be done.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Then I posted here! haha

I could be wrong but I think they have a different line if fenders (not the overline) that offer basically no coverage at all, that support that 37" claim. I don't think that goes for the overline.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 06 LJ I did MC fenders front and rear with 33's. They Cleared fine but I discovered as you likely will, the stock suspesnion doesn't handle the added weight of the fenders and the corners especialyl if you throw on a front bumper/winch, rear bumper/tire carrier. I had to throw new springs (2'') and shocks on it to make it liveable especially offroad.

I realize we are talking two different vehicles here but I imagine you will be in the same boat. You can run bigger tires with just the fenders but the jeep is not going to perform offroad. The MC fenders and corner armor are beefy you are going to be surprised how much all that metal weighs.

Just my opinion, your experience may differ
Old 01-02-2014, 01:11 PM
JK Jedi

You say you dont want a mall crawler yet you want to run stock suspension?

as rsbmg said if you add much of anything your stock coils will have a very short rough life...
Old 01-02-2014, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Guessing this is your first Jeep. Word of warning, you can't just Mod one thing. One thing leads to another whether it be out of necessity or want, you'll end up going bigger and better. But to answer your question those fenders should work with 35s on a stock suspension. You will eventually need to upgrade the suspension with the added weight( as some people have already stated). I was able to fit 35s undermine with cut fenders and wheel spacers. You'll find that the 35s are heavy and your Jeep will be sluggish. If you're just looking for the cheaper way I would say cut your fenders, you will get about the same result. Then save your money to re-gear to get your power back or for a lift or other modifications.

Quick Reply: 35's- No Lift- MetalCloak Overline Fender (not a mall crawler)