Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35s and Stock Gears

Old 05-02-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 35s and Stock Gears

So i have been looking but havent seen alot of information. How do the stock gears (non Rubicon) hold up and perform with 35 inch tires in moderate crawling and offroading? Just wondering what size to get after the lift.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

At the top of this modified area are some FAQ's. Open the drivetrain section and plug numbers into the rpm charts.

For an Auto, 5.13 is probably what you will want, but some people like 4.88.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm a 2dr x with 35's and stock 3.73's and I did just fine in Moab last week. Didn't have a single problem what so ever. Been with stick gears for over a year. Just haven't had the coin to regear as of yet.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very interested in this thread. I have read the FAQ on this matter and i understand most of what they mean by saying 'returning to stock' by the regear.

Just like the OP, i was considering 35"s w/ stock gears.....not to hijack the thread, but would this setup damage the Jeep long terrm? i can deal with lethargic starts, but not expensive repairs $$ that could otherwise be avoided...also would the stock gears be under more stress on pavment or off road with 35"s?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Big_T_Shirt
So i have been looking but havent seen alot of information. How do the stock gears (non Rubicon) hold up and perform with 35 inch tires in moderate crawling and offroading? Just wondering what size to get after the lift.
Sorry, I should have been alittle more clear, not gear size after the lift but tire size. Main reason if for the wear and tear on the transmission, trans case and axles. ive had a few XJs in the past and the large tires took there toll rather quickly. Thanks for the info i'll keep that chart in mind when the time comes. cheers
Old 05-02-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Interested too! Still on the fence about going to 33s or 35s for my DD with mild/moderate off roading...
Old 05-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Owl
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought that the Superchip Flashpaq could relieve some of the inherent problems encountered with larger tires..........(or maybe I misunderstood)
Old 05-02-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

i'm just running the aev procal with mine, it fixed my speedo problem and the shift points. not too sure on what the damage would be long term, but i haven't notcied any problems as of yet.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran stock 3.73s with 35s for 2 years, no problems and I wheel it. Was it ideal? no, but it was good enough. Its also my DD, just turn OD off with your auto and its not bad just dont expect to pass anyone on the freeway unless you want to do like 6k rpms lol
Old 05-02-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bosox5
I ran stock 3.73s with 35s for 2 years, no problems and I wheel it. Was it ideal? no, but it was good enough. Its also my DD, just turn OD off with your auto and its not bad just dont expect to pass anyone on the freeway unless you want to do like 6k rpms lol
You've obviously regeared since then. You were doing at least 85mph and passing everyone heading down the the Seekonk the other month. Eff it, I'm going with 35s too.

Quick Reply: 35s and Stock Gears