Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35x12.50R17 > Do I need a lift?

Old 05-02-2017, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35x12.50R17 > Do I need a lift?

Hi all,

Newbie here so bear with me. I'm planning to order some 35x12.50R17 tires and since this is already big in my budget I was wondering if I'll necessarily need a lift and/or spacers right away? Or could I get a few weeks/months without one or what could be the risks? I'm not planning to do any off road yet at all, just some regular commute for now.
I'm also planning to change the fenders to much thinner ones which I hope will help me gain some time. See the picture attached.

Thank you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	NMtbD5d.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	671148
Old 05-02-2017, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As a note, the search function on the forum works well.

You can mount and fit those tires on a stock JK, but any bounce or sway and you will contact the stock fenders. If you have a JK built prior to the 2013 model year, you will also have to trim the rear pinch seam (do a forum search on that one) or you may end up cutting your tire tread.

You will require a minimum wheel backspace of at least 4.5" to prevent rubbing on the sway bar. The stock 6.25" backspacing can be overcome with a 1.5" wheel spacer. Yes that makes 4.75" but it will be fine.

If you plan to run a flat fender you may want to look into extending your bumpstops. There are plenty of threads on how to measure your bumpstop.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

You're obviously on a budget, and there's nothing wrong with that. Depending on the wheels you plan to use you may need spacers as Smudge points out above. If you want a bit of clearance you could always throw a cheap budget boost on just to get a little lift. Also, those Bushwacker flats you pictured will run you close to $600......since the budget might be tights, you could trim your stock flares for free or minimal cost. Many have had them turn out nicely.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Thx guys great info! As a piece of information, I'm going to us the Rugged RidgeXHD wheels (like in the picture) with Rugged Ridge Wheel Spacers, 1.5 in. I just want to play it safe and follow that they did on the video for the wheels, plus it looks amazing.

Will I need to adjust anything on the jeep? Or are they just plug and play type of things (from an electronic perspective)?

Last edited by nino; 05-02-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nino
Thx guys great info! As a piece of information, I'm going to us the Rugged RidgeXHD wheels (like in the picture) with Rugged Ridge Wheel Spacers, 1.5 in. I just want to play it safe and follow that they did on the video for the wheels, plus it looks amazing.

Will I need to adjust anything on the jeep? Or are they just plug and play type of things (from an electronic perspective)?
If you have properly backspaced wheels, you won't want to combine them with wheel spacers or you'll start running into other issues.

You're going to have a lot of rubbing. Nothing wrong with keeping it low and working on a budget but honestly I would wait and spend a little more money on a small lift kit to make it easy on yourself. You don't need much. 2-2.5" will get you to where you need to be.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring back memories. I had the bushwacker fenders in a box at home. I had the 35" tires mounted the day before on OEM hieght. Every medium bump I cringing (new tires) on the way home. The fenders wasn't enough (next day) so I did the JKS 2.5 spring lift and added more later on
Old 05-02-2017, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

Haha Thx man. I guess I'll wait until I can get both lift and new set of wheels/tires to move forward on this. I just want to play it safe. I also found a guy that will charge me something around $500 to install everything so BOOM 4k. ugh.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Short and honest answer No really Cut the fender flares and wheel spaces

Last edited by brankz; 05-05-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran no lift and flat fenders with my 35s for a while without issue. Mine is a 2015 with the rear pinch seam trimmed, which is definitely a benefit.

Since you're getting the aftermarket wheels you shouldn't need spacers at all, you may rub a little at full lock, but the JKs already have a terrible turning circle, won't make a massive difference

You could easily trim the stock fenders and run the 35s!
Old 05-03-2017, 02:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The wheels you're purchasing will have the proper back spacing, so you are good there. A set of flat fenders will provide enough clearance for the 35" tires for normal street use with out any problems. Before you go Off-Road, you'll want to stick a mild lift/budget boost on, or at a minimum add some bump stop. There are some great kits out there under 500 bucks that either come with shocks or shock extensions.

Don't forget your spare tire. A 35 inch spare will not fit your stock tire carrier with out proper provisions. It's too wide and the height will rub on your bumper. There are cheap solutions for this on all the popular online parts retailer sites. Keep in mind at some point you'll want to either get a new rear bumper with tire carrier or upgrade the tailgate hinge system to prevent damage to your stock tail gate. It's not designed to handle the additional weight of a larger tire.

Quick Reply: 35x12.50R17 > Do I need a lift?