Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37" spare on the factory hanger

Old 01-29-2007, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37" spare on the factory hanger

I didn't think it would work, but I tossed it up there, and it fits perfectly! I'm running a Mickey Thompson 15x8" wheel with around 3.5" of backspacing. The tire is a 37x12.50 Goodyear MTR. It clears the rear bumper, but just barely ( I am running the Mopar heavey duty rear bumper, not the stock one). My rear brake light is covered, but I plan on fabbing some brackets to raise it up a few inches. As far as the extra weight... the factory Rubicon wheel and tire weighs 74lbs. My new combo weighs 84lbs. Surely the tailgate can handle 10 more pounds.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Graluc
As far as the extra weight... the factory Rubicon wheel and tire weighs 74lbs. My new combo weighs 84lbs. Surely the tailgate can handle 10 more pounds.
Whoa!! Hey Graluc, it's not so much the weight you should be worried about (although, in my opinion, you should be), it's the fact that your spare is not making any contact with the rubber isolators that should cause you some real concerns. These rubber isolators are designed to prevent jiggling of the spare when driving over bumpy roads or when off roading. This jiggling can eventually cause your tire carrier and/or sheet metal on the tailgate to break. At least, I've seen this happen more than once on TJ's.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I've seen my share of broken down TJ tailgates too... The TJ gates had several hard rubber bumpers that the tire rested on. On the JK there are only 2 bumpers, near the top of the tire that are soft (seams to me to be more of a rattle isolation than weight support). The mount itself is designed differently and looks to spread the weight out better on the JK. I guess I'll be the first to find out.

Last edited by Graluc; 01-29-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Hmmm, only ten pounds... i'm with you bud, i'd sure run it til it breaks if it does. I would extend the rubber isolaters just to play it safe, but if the sheet metal rips on the tailgate, thats when i'd buy a nice peice of black diamond plate, a big square to cover up the damage, and then run a rear tire carrier. I know lots of people would think i'm dumb for this and thats fine, but hey, i've seen people run bike racks that hang from the spare, and while those aren't there 24/7 like a spare is, 4 bikes hanging off the back of the spare would sure do a lot more damage than an extra ten pounds. Let us know how its holding up after a few trail rides. Oh, and if you could please pm me to let me know what lift you're running to fit 37's and what other mods you had to do, trac bars, ect ect. i'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow that tire looks big on the back of the Jeep.
Im sure you'll be fine for a long time though if its only 10lbs heavier, especially if you can get it to not jiggle by meeting the rubber isolators.

I like the look of those wheels and want to get some too.
So, I take it they fit fine if your running them, but how close are they to the brakes?

Last edited by Eracer76; 03-20-2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

So far so good on the rear tire. I never got around to extending the bumpstops. The tail gate still opens and closes fine, no extra give in it. I've ran Tellico twice and a local trail with it, and tried to jump it a few times on some small berms. The ass end just shoots up in the air...

I'm running the Super Lift 4" kit, 15x8" Mickey Thompson Classic II's with around 3.5" of backspacing and Goodyear MTR 37x12.50's. The wheels are tight on the calipers, but clear just fine.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Graluc
So far so good on the rear tire. I never got around to extending the bumpstops. The tail gate still opens and closes fine, no extra give in it. I've ran Tellico twice and a local trail with it, and tried to jump it a few times on some small berms. The ass end just shoots up in the air...

I'm running the Super Lift 4" kit, 15x8" Mickey Thompson Classic II's with around 3.5" of backspacing and Goodyear MTR 37x12.50's. The wheels are tight on the calipers, but clear just fine.

Does anyone else hear a ticking sound from that rear gate? Like a time bomb?
No really keep us posted please. If it's gonna fail we all need to know. I hope it doesn't. NO REALLY!

Last edited by CLACKEY(_!_); 03-21-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 37" spare on the factory hanger