Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37in toyos and bumpsteer!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vinson Clark
Its mainly the big bumps. The roads here in Mississippi or bad. This is my first jeep and first lifted vehicle with big tires ive ever owned so i may be over reacting some. I always here guys talking about there jeep ridding better than stock once lifted but with 10 ply toyos i just dont see it.

I see your running 37in toyos as well do you experience and noticeable steering changes over your stock setup?
Only difference is its more of a stiff ride and I to am running 25-26 psi. On the highway I would say its as good as stock but you do feel the bumps more but I attribute that to the tires. I really like the tires though, they perform great and look great.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pick up some AEV drop brackets. They reduce the angle of your control arms so when hitting bumps or pot holes the impact is sent more up into the springs instead of the frame. Best $120 I ever spent on my Jeep. They hang down no more than a long arm would and your Jeep will drive like a caddy. My jku's lifted 4" with 37" mud grapplers and rides better than stock.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Have you checked your toe lately , when I went to 37 from 35 I had to fix my toe , when I got a new axle I had to fix my toe so what I am saying is check your toe
Old 03-05-2012, 01:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having the same problems, Again. It all has to do with the geometry. Last year when I installed the lift kit, the dynatrac etc. I had it aligned, but it was bad to drive, so I adjusted a few thing myself (toe in, caster). It was better, but still BS and a little DW. I ordered a drag link flip kit. And the ride was awesome, really nice, no BS and no DW. Because I thought the drag link flip kit was the solution I wanted to get it back aligned so all the geometry would be correct.

Even the guy from the Jeep shop who took it out for the aligment said he had never driven a Jeep with these modifactions that handles this good. BUT after getting the correct alignment I'm now back to BS and mild DW. I think I'm going crazy.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rottenbelly
After my last trip mine started getting alittle flighty , goofy feeling. I got under there and found a loose control arm bolt that was letting it wobble around in the bushing. Mine runs straight down the road as long as there's no ruts.
But it starts to wander a bit in the ruts. Really feel it more with the wider tires.

Your steering setup looks good from when I saw it. Did you end up running a steering stabilizer?
I ran without one for a long time and just recently put one back on to take the edge off the bumps offroading.
I thinking of trying the control arm drop brackets myself.
Funny I did that last weekend. I did a little Red Loctite to make sure it stays this time. Going to check the tire balance to make sure. But I do not think this is it. Also what about doing the steering stabilizer? Still running the stock one will that help with the BS issue? I have heard many thoughts on this.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Pictures of current steering setup.Click image for larger version

Name:	42afacee-d7d9-cfb6.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	285304Click image for larger version

Name:	42afacee-d72f-3c0a.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	285305Click image for larger version

Name:	42afacee-d74a-e983.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	285306Click image for larger version

Name:	42afacee-d77a-0b09.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	285307Click image for larger version

Name:	42afacee-d793-7b23.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	285308
Old 03-05-2012, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rottenbelly
After my last trip mine started getting alittle flighty , goofy feeling. I got under there and found a loose control arm bolt that was letting it wobble around in the bushing. Mine runs straight down the road as long as there's no ruts.
But it starts to wander a bit in the ruts. Really feel it more with the wider tires.

Your steering setup looks good from when I saw it. Did you end up running a steering stabilizer?
I ran without one for a long time and just recently put one back on to take the edge off the bumps offroading.
I thinking of trying the control arm drop brackets myself.
Yes rottenbelly ive got the factorty one back on took a little modification but it works. We did some wheeling the other day so im going to climb under the jeep and make sure everything is torqued to spec. I think its mainly just these ruff roads here in mississippi
Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vinson Clark
I'm having some bumpsteer issues on my 2 door. It drives fine on flat ground. I have a pr44 unlimited. My Castor is set at 6.2 on driver and 6.7 on passenger. I have rockkrawlers flipped drag link and there rasied trac bar bracket welded to my axle. I'm running around 25psi in the tires. Everytime I go over a bump it will wander some in the road and I will have to correct it. Is it the tires? Any advice would be helpful.
The first thing I'd do is the ol' Planman "Death Wobble" thread suggestion, and just make sure that everything is torqued properly, and make sure that none of the bolt holes are wallowed out. Especially since (from your photos) everything seems to be in relatively good alignment to the other pieces (TB, drag link, etc.)

Originally Posted by Stepsride
I am having a similar issue. I get a vib in the steering at 50 and goes away at 60 as well. Would love to have this resolved.how did you get all that caster I could only manage 3?
Yours just seems like a tire balancing issue. See if you can have a shop Road Force balance them.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Fixed my problem got under the jeep this morning and went threw the whole suspension and torqued everything to spec. Front upper control arm was a little loose where it bolts to the axle on the passenger side. Seems to be driving fine now

Quick Reply: 37in toyos and bumpsteer!