JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   37's on a D30? Mythbusters wanna know... (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/37s-d30-mythbusters-wanna-know-182211/)

yrubuggin 06-13-2011 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Justinn407 (Post 2347616)
38's on a dana30 w C's light offroad no issues..

Did you roll on the 38's before the gussets by chance, if so- how long?

wasntborn2follow 06-13-2011 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by yrubuggin (Post 2347621)

Hey yrubuggin off topic but i grew up in yucaipa went to high school and everything there. sorry to highjack but just saw you lived there.

Justinn407 06-13-2011 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by yrubuggin (Post 2347621)

35's for about a year, gears and C's just before I put on the 38's

yrubuggin 06-13-2011 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by wasntborn2follow (Post 2347685)
Hey yrubuggin off topic but i grew up in yucaipa went to high school and everything there. sorry to highjack but just saw you lived there.

No worries about the highjack...always good to hear from a T-Bird. My son just graduated, and his younger brother is a freshman this fall. I love Yucaipa, and it seems like I come across people from here all over the place.

wasntborn2follow 06-13-2011 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by yrubuggin (Post 2347695)
No worries about the highjack...always good to hear from a T-Bird. My son just graduated, and his younger brother is a freshman this fall. I love Yucaipa, and it seems like I come across people from here all over the place.

For sure! My brother still lives there and i get tattooed there so im up there quite often. i graduated in 02'.. Its a good place to raise a family thats for sure.

Dezertjeepin 06-13-2011 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by nwbronco (Post 2347538)
There is no magic size tire to say you will destroy the Dana 30. It's all about what the one behind the wheel does with the rig.

X2 on that.... I've ran 35's on a completely stock D30 for 3 years now with no issues at all. Its been 40+ MPH through whoops in Johnson Valley time and time again, and through every black diamond trail in Big Bear and some in Johnson Valley.

I dont like bashing my rig through obstacles, I make sure my wheels AREN'T at full turn when I'm stressing the drive train through a rock garden, and I don't hammer down on the gas when I'm suck spinning the tires and getting the Jeep to bounce up and down till I make it through. I know I have a D30 so I treat it like that (besides the whoops part anyway, and boy does it handle the whoops!!! haha).

As far as the housing is concerned I think a lot of it depends on the actual casting of the axle tube's. Unfortunately there is no way of telling if you have a bad cast or not. I've put mine through a lot of abuse but a friend of mine had the stock 32" tires and was driving on a graded dirt road and hit a small pothole and the whole axle tube snapped in half on the passenger side.

WCDAVE 06-14-2011 03:43 AM

Subscribed. I have been searching about this on this forum and others as well as the general internet with other types of vehicles. My impression is that if you bash your rig, you will eventually break it - D30, D44, D60 doesn't matter. The heavier the axle, the more abuse it can take. Mountain/Jeep roads and accessing remote campgrounds is my interest and the D30 seems up to that task stock, 35s or 37s. None of this gear will break parked in your driveway, outside of that, circumstance plays a much larger role than anyone would like. I have seen many more posts and pics of people who have blown up super-duty rigs, but they are pushing them on extreme terrain because that is their interest. In short, anyone that I have found that has broken an axle, broken a shaft, bent something, or otherwise become disabled is not surprised that it happened. I have never seen a thread titled: "Bent my d30 driving to work this morning on 37s" I always try to remember that forums like this are the repository of all disasters Jeep. It is a badge of honor to post your blown ring-gear, no one typically posts unless prompted, "driving around, no issues". Thanks to all who continue to post their experience.:yup:

JerryJeff 06-14-2011 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Justinn407 (Post 2347688)
35's for about a year, gears and C's just before I put on the 38's

Do you mind telling me who welded in your C gussets?? I really appreciate it!!

renpia 06-14-2011 05:05 AM

I'm on 37's and been wheeling it since Feb with no issues. My axle is stock with no gussets (yet) or sleeves and still have the 3.73 gears (5.13's coming). It really comes down to how you wheel, picking the right lines and not being stupid. Here's a vid from wheeling this past weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uRla...ature=youtu.be

yrubuggin 06-14-2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by renpia
I'm on 37's and been wheeling it since Feb with no issues. My axle is stock with no gussets (yet) or sleeves and still have the 3.73 gears (5.13's coming). It really comes down to how you wheel, picking the right lines and not being stupid. Here's a vid from wheeling this past weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uRla...ature=youtu.be

Wow! Thanks for the input. So far I see it as ......
Myth=0 / Myth Busted=2

I know any second someone is going to come along and burst the bubble.....the anticipation is killing me!!