Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" - long arm or short?

Old 10-05-2006, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" - long arm or short?

I am leaning toward a 4" lift with 33's, 4-door Rubicon. It's blazing new ground, cuz none of us are too familiar with the longer wheelbase yet.

Any thoughts on that setup? Would you go for a long arm or not?

Any sources for 4" lifts yet for the JK?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Four inches of lift, you'll be able to fit 35"s. If you want to run 33"s, get a two inch kit, since 32"s are what comes stock anyway.

As for long arm, I've seen no information about individual kits yet, but it seems to me one won't be warranted until at least 37" rubbers.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

2"? You think? I'd be dragging rocker panels everywhere. I need better elevation than that for my trails. I don't want to go too huge on the tires since I tow.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

JByer323 is right. With the new JK's, all you need is 2" to run 33's and 3" to run 35's. With 4", you can easily run 37's to 40's. In fact, I will be posting pics of a JK sitting on 37's with a 4" lift this afternoon
Old 10-07-2006, 12:49 PM
pik
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by briandunning
2"? You think? I'd be dragging rocker panels everywhere. I need better elevation than that for my trails.
Increased lift does not give you increased ground clearance. Bigger tires do! The lift kit just gives you the room for bigger meats. In other words, you can put 35's on a bone stock Jeep w/ fenders cut off and have the same amount of clearance than a Jeep w/ a 5 1/2 inch long arm kit w/ 35's.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

As for long arm, I've seen no information about individual kits yet, but it seems to me one won't be warranted until at least 37" rubbers.
I read the Fulltraction will have theres out before Sema...

My wife works for 4WD hardware, I'll let you know when they are available.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up Keep it low

If you can have full articulation with a 2" and 33's it will be better to keep your center of gravity as low as posible. Same ground clearance, less flipping.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pik
Increased lift does not give you increased ground clearance. Bigger tires do! The lift kit just gives you the room for bigger meats. In other words, you can put 35's on a bone stock Jeep w/ fenders cut off and have the same amount of clearance than a Jeep w/ a 5 1/2 inch long arm kit w/ 35's.
It does give you a little more clearance on engine trans and rear end w\ a suspension lift. The only thing your not lifting is the axles. And it does stop you from being high center. (correct?) only a few inches but every little bit helps sometimes.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have any thoughts on my original question - would you go for a long arm with a 4" lift?
Old 10-08-2006, 08:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by briandunning
Anyone have any thoughts on my original question - would you go for a long arm with a 4" lift?

If your planning on wheeling your JK, even waiting to wheel it until its paid off.

I would definetly go with the long arm kit. If give you alot more articulation.

I'm just curious to see if Full Tractions long arm with have the wishbone design like the TJ's.

Quick Reply: 4" - long arm or short?