Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" - long arm or short?

Old 10-09-2006, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Depends

How much hard core articulation do YOU need vs the extra cost of the long arm. Everyone wants a long arm but it is $1000. diff in price. So it should be based on your needs. 33's will look silly with 4" kit, you might as well go bigger if you can the $ diff is nominal.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Nozz
How much hard core articulation do YOU need vs the extra cost of the long arm. Everyone wants a long arm but it is $1000. diff in price. So it should be based on your needs. 33's will look silly with 4" kit, you might as well go bigger if you can the $ diff is nominal.

I'm not sure I know the difference between "Hardcore" articulation and normal articulation.

I missed the 33" part of the equation. I was thinking about 35" or larger..

I still dont know enough about JK lifts, and tire clearances to really voice a edumacated decision.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally the glamour shots guy said 33's with a 4" kit. I would definately go bigger but maybe I am overcompensating for something:p As far as hard core, to me that is the stuff in magazines my wife says no to and the warranty won't cover.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can't say for sure about the rear LCAs but the fronts on the JK are bout 50% longer than the '06 and earlier TJs. That makes them about 1/2 way between a long and short arm stock. I would run the short arm on a lift of 4" or less. On my current Rubi, I run a 4.5" SA and have been able to keep up with all the long arm equiped jeeps, just can't always keep up with the guys running 35s or 37s - for dif clearance.

As to the poster who said that lift doesn't give you clearance, tires do - he is forgetting that lift (taller springs) raises everything above the axles. It gets your frame rails, bumpers and gas tank higher and on the new 4 door, that and adding larger tires just may keep you from getting high centered!! Tires do lift the entire jeep as stated and gets the pumpkins up an inch for every 2" taller tire - which we lose some of when we air down !! HTH

mp
Old 10-10-2006, 05:26 PM
pik
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MDPJeep
As to the poster who said that lift doesn't give you clearance, tires do - he is forgetting that lift (taller springs) raises everything above the axles. It gets your frame rails, bumpers and gas tank higher and on the new 4 door, that and adding larger tires just may keep you from getting high centered!! Tires do lift the entire jeep as stated and gets the pumpkins up an inch for every 2" taller tire - which we lose some of when we air down !! HTH

mp
The axles, on most vehicles, are the lowest point of a vehicle. I would think that most people, who actually off-road, would like to raise the lowest part of their vehicle. So for me, I'd rather have bigger tires to clear the lowest part of my rig. I could care less if my rockers, gas tank, or bumpers cleared that huge rock while my diffs. were bashed up against it !! Bigger tires let you clear THOSE rocks; more lift will not. That is where I was coming from with that response.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pik
The axles, on most vehicles, are the lowest point of a vehicle. I would think that most people, who actually off-road, would like to raise the lowest part of their vehicle. So for me, I'd rather have bigger tires to clear the lowest part of my rig. I could care less if my rockers, gas tank, or bumpers cleared that huge rock while my diffs. were bashed up against it !! Bigger tires let you clear THOSE rocks; more lift will not. That is where I was coming from with that response.

Clearly bigger tires are a must for clearance and off-roading. The point I was attempting to make was that if going from a 31" to a 35" tire raises the difs and vehicle 2" [assuming no spring lift but larger cut-outs for the tires], the jeep will get caught up on more obstacles than one with additional lift. And, it should be said, when it comes to rocky trails there is no substitute for picking the right line.

Quick Reply: 4" - long arm or short?