Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4" Superlift questions

Old 09-10-2007, 02:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by obxjeep
As you all can tell... I am completely torn between the lift that I want. I figure that I am probably not going to run 37's and just go with 35's, since I have had great experiences with 35's (I guess bigger is always not better ). I may just stick with my original plan and go with the 4" Superlift and possibly upgrade it later as stated above. Seeing since I am not willing to spend $1000 more on the 4" Teraflex I started looking at their 3" kit, but I think I would be more happy going with the 4" Superlift in the end. Has anyone rode in a JK with a Superlift and one with a Teraflex lift, I am wondering about the ride quality since I will be driving my JK approx 30 miles a day. Thanks for the opinions!! I greatly appreciate them!
I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever kit you get but at 4" of lift, I would highly recommend picking up some front adjustable upper and lower control arms so that you can set your caster. If you don't do this, you will find that driving your Jeeps is a chore as it will wander quite a bit and feel very darty. Also, I would recommend getting a set of monotube gas charged shocks instead of trying to save some change and get the twin tube hydros. I have driven two different 4" Superlift JK's, both with the cheaper shocks and the ride was quite harsh. Last but not least, the only thing I don't like about the Superlift kit is that the rear track bar relocation bracket is attached to the axle as opposed to the frame and while I haven't heard of any breaking yet, there have been plenty of other kits with brackets on this location that have. Need I say, you may want to consider getting a new adjustable rear track bar in the near future or at least a different bracket that attaches to the frame like it should.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:08 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by cowboypunk
Get the pro comp stage II 4" lift..
Ummmm, why?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also consider that Superlift does or will soon offer their rock runner control arms that you can upgrade to with their 4" lift in the future. I say get the Superlift 4" with the adjustable front and rear track bars, and upgrade to their rock runner arms later....

Oh... and GEAUX TIGERS!!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jared1843
Also consider that Superlift does or will soon offer their rock runner control arms that you can upgrade to with their 4" lift in the future. I say get the Superlift 4" with the adjustable front and rear track bars, and upgrade to their rock runner arms later....

Oh... and GEAUX TIGERS!!
Seeing that you have the Premium 3" Full Traction Lift, why do you say to go with the Superlift? I find it interesting because I had almost made up my mind to go with the 3" Economy Full Traction lift w/HD Coils and Adjustable Front Track Bar. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't let anyone dissuade you from your decision. Superlift makes a good product. You can upgrade the lift as your budget dictates. Basic kit now, arms later, better shocks later, whatever you decide. For that matter most of the lift manufacturers kits are modular. You can start inexpensive and go from there. When your looking for information on making your decision, use all of the webs resources. There are a lot of freindly people who will help. Talk to folks who have the lift installed that you are considering. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:05 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by RubiconToad
Don't let anyone dissuade you from your decision. Superlift makes a good product. You can upgrade the lift as your budget dictates. Basic kit now, arms later, better shocks later, whatever you decide. For that matter most of the lift manufacturers kits are modular. You can start inexpensive and go from there. When your looking for information on making your decision, use all of the webs resources. There are a lot of freindly people who will help. Talk to folks who have the lift installed that you are considering. Good luck.
Exactly - every lift kit can be built up upon as budget allows. While I have no doubts that the 4" Superlift kit is a quality product, it is essentially just a set of springs, rear track bar relocation bracket and front adjustable track bar. The only thing I have been trying to encourage you to do is to consider getting, at the very least, a set of adjustable upper and lower front control arms sooner than later. And, I only recommend this as at 4" of lift, your Jeep will have wandering issues at highway speeds if you don't set your caster to compensate for the amount of lift/bigger tires you will have.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are the "alignment cams" that Superlift includes with the basic kit for caster angle realignment not sufficient to correct caster with this lift? I realize they go about it different than adjustable arms, but they do advertise them as being able to adjust and correct caster, was wondering what your experience was.

Last edited by RubiconToad; 09-11-2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-11-2007, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Only because that is what you were initially interested in. Full Traction doesn't make a 4" lift, so I didn't suggest you get it.

35's look and work great with a 3" lift, but you'll need a 4" lift for 37's should you choose to get those. I suggest figuring our your tire size first and then selecting the lift you want. From all I have learned on this forum, I would pick a lift that you can afford with the option of upgrading later. For me, it will be the FT Ultimate control arms at some point.... Good luck!

Originally Posted by obxjeep
Seeing that you have the Premium 3" Full Traction Lift, why do you say to go with the Superlift? I find it interesting because I had almost made up my mind to go with the 3" Economy Full Traction lift w/HD Coils and Adjustable Front Track Bar. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:09 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by RubiconToad
Are the "alignment cams" that Superlift includes with the basic kit for caster angle realignment not sufficient to correct caster with this lift? I realize they go about it different than adjustable arms, but they do advertise them as being able to adjust and correct caster, was wondering what your experience was.
IMHO, alignment cams or cam bolts are a bad idea and I wouldn't recommend them on any kit. While they can provide some caster adjustment, they will not provide as much as you will need for 4" of lift and they will require you to notch out control arm mounts making them into rectangular slots. Now, while this might be okay to do if you are stock and running factory size tires, I have found that the stresses placed on your control arms when lifted and on bigger tires make it difficult for the cam bolts to stay on tight. Need I say, it has been my experience that they eventually come loose and start to move and once you notch out your control arm mounts, turning back isn't so easy.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Exactly - every lift kit can be built up upon as budget allows. While I have no doubts that the 4" Superlift kit is a quality product, it is essentially just a set of springs, rear track bar relocation bracket and front adjustable track bar. The only thing I have been trying to encourage you to do is to consider getting, at the very least, a set of adjustable upper and lower front control arms sooner than later. And, I only recommend this as at 4" of lift, your Jeep will have wandering issues at highway speeds if you don't set your caster to compensate for the amount of lift/bigger tires you will have.
Wayoflife: You have been a really big help with this topic for me, thanks so much! I still need to decide what I really want in the end and I really like the idea that has been brought up many times about upgrading as the money allows. I am considering 100% to upgrade to the upper/lower adjustable controll arms for which ever lift I decide to get. Hopefully it can wait probably about 6 months, but sooner than never is always good Thanks again for all of your help!

Originally Posted by jared1843
Only because that is what you were initially interested in. Full Traction doesn't make a 4" lift, so I didn't suggest you get it.

35's look and work great with a 3" lift, but you'll need a 4" lift for 37's should you choose to get those. I suggest figuring our your tire size first and then selecting the lift you want. From all I have learned on this forum, I would pick a lift that you can afford with the option of upgrading later. For me, it will be the FT Ultimate control arms at some point.... Good luck!
Makes sense, do you like your lift that you have? I have chosen to definately go with the 35's after pricing the rubber It's a very big price increase Thanks for yours and everyone else's help on this topic, I really appreciate it!! I'll let you all know very soon what I decided to go with once it is ordered! Have a good week everyone!

Quick Reply: 4" Superlift questions