Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5.13 gear question

Old 07-26-2007, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.13 gear question

I have ordered and received my new gears from Superior, however I have run into a problem. The guy that is going to do my gear swap at his shop say's he needs a special tool for the front dana 30. This tool is a pinion depth gauge. I guess it measures for the correct depth the shims should be set at etc. He does not have this for the front only and says it is a tool from Chrysler is this right? He say's if it is not done correctly and aligned it will make noise either on acceleration or deceleration and this usually happens around 45mph. I am wondering from you guy's that have changed your gears out, if anyone has run into the same problem? I talked to the guy I bought the gears from and he stated that the JK they changed the gears on, they just used the stock shims and it worked fine. However my shop guy is saying he would rather do it the right way then have something go wrong, and just guess and hope it is right. Which I appreciate that and I would rather have it done right also then have a problem in the future. He also is saying this is only a problem with the front 30 not the rear 44. Thanks...... :confused: :confused:
Old 07-26-2007, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you really should use one it makes for an easier install. I have one and it is invaluable for front or rear gears. Everything he said is true about the outcome if it's setup incorrectly but you can buy an aftermaket kit but they cost around 350.00. My advise would be take a class at your local community college if you have the time to learn about doing gears and drivetrain repairs. Then take it to a shop and have it done. The only reason I have all of the equipment which cost me around 1500.00 for a press and other assorted items is I don't trust anyone with my baby and I have been doing gears for the last 8 years. That said if OffRoad Evolution is still doing gears and install for 1000.00 when I'm ready then I am going to have them do it. It is just not worth my time.

After all that if you have any gear setup questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Quick Reply: 5.13 gear question