Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.7Hemi Swap or LS

Old 06-05-2019, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight2012
Engine assembly is $1650 cash from a know and reputable salvage yard. Stored indoors and is complete including everything excepts belt attached component like the compressor and alternator. Called them and talked to the guy who said they did run it and it has a 90 day parts warranty.

Almost seems too good to be true. The problem with the warranty only being 90 days is that I don't want to garage the Jeep all Summer. Sort of want to scoop this up and hold on to it until I get time this Fall.
Can always grab it and build a wood "test" stand spend a couple of hours get it running and see if anything on it isent right. Grandfather does that all the time, and it will keep the engine off the floor when storing it. be easyer to tape up all the holes for when you do store it. Could be they just need some cash. I have a local salvage yard that when they need to move a lot of stuff they run a "deal" where for $135 is all you pay for what ever you want, but you have to carry the full weight of it 10 yards. They also charge like $5 for people to watch lol
Old 06-06-2019, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by DEJK2012
Can always grab it and build a wood "test" stand spend a couple of hours get it running and see if anything on it isent right. Grandfather does that all the time, and it will keep the engine off the floor when storing it.
Damn, I wish I knew even where to start in doing this. The thing I know about engines is that you typically need 2 things to get them to start. Gas + Spark. Unsure especially on the gas side, on how to make that happen with the engine disconnected from all the gas supply and all the electronics.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

I went with a 2016 Gen V 5.3 LT and 8L90 8spd auto from a Chev Silverado. Reasons were; Could not locate a 5.7 here, Hemi is heavier (LT is all aluminum at 550lbs), Hemi is wider so difficult to work on, Hemi power is more than the 5.3 so harder on the drivetrain. The Hemi I would look for would be a 2016 as well so I would have paid a lot for everything. My LT/tranny came from a write off in Texas with 16,000 miles and all accessories for $3500. I went with the $7500 kit from Motech so all of this is not cheap but for 355HP/385Tq it will be worth every penny.
A word of advice to the brave who undertake these conversions from one who contemplated doing this myself. If you undertake as a do-it-yourself project be prepared to have the vehicle off the road for a long time. Possibly many months. I went with Motech and it still will be a 2 month project. But Robbie gives you everything to make it a plug and play thing.
All the best to all V8 conversions wherever they are done. What FCA should have done when JK came out.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is why you want a Gen4, now California legal:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/engin...-big-news.html
Old 06-17-2019, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Sixty4x4;4343361I went with the $7500 kit from Motech so all of this is not cheap[/QUOTE]
Are you sending your Jeep to them to do all the work?

What is going to be your final costs? I would love to do this but my rough estimates with a 6.0 were going to put me close to $20K and that is with me doing the install.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight2012
Are you sending your Jeep to them to do all the work?

What is going to be your final costs? I would love to do this but my rough estimates with a 6.0 were going to put me close to $20K and that is with me doing the install.
My costs will be about $18k Cdn so converted to USD will be about $13500. And that is not counting suspension upgrades you need and rear diff strengthening. I looked into doing this myself and yes there are programmers out there for the Chev system but not many who know the Jeep system well enough to integrate. The joy of all that power is soon forgotten when a lot of the features you use today are gone after a self conversion due to inability to make it function. I can say if you researched this for quite a while it could work out such as the Canbus converter system that makes the Chev system talk to the Jeep system. Also go with Gen 5 if you go this way. I could not wait so went with Motech. Be aware of the yes men out there whi can let you down. Guy I know in Texas started a conversion to Gen 4 and eventually towed the vehicle to Motech up in Vegas. Runs good now.
Hope I helped here
Barry
Old 06-19-2019, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I have four friends who have done V8 swaps into JKs, three LS and one Hemi. All of the LS conversions have had compatibility issues, the owner of the Hemi swap said it was like it had come from the factory that way. Two of the LS swaps were originally 3.8s, one was a 3.6L. The Hemi was a 5.7 and went into a 2012.
The following users liked this post:
Arodriguez0108 (07-08-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Who did the LS swaps...
Hemi swap Ca legal?
Old 06-20-2019, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by caryt
Hemi swap Ca legal?
yes its Cal legal, ALOT easier because its Mopar to Mopar. Also dont have to worry about compatibility issues. There is a local shop that wont do LS swaps because of the complications that come up from time to time. They said its a pain in the butt to fix it and isent worth their time.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
I have four friends who have done V8 swaps into JKs, three LS and one Hemi. All of the LS conversions have had compatibility issues, the owner of the Hemi swap said it was like it had come from the factory that way. Two of the LS swaps were originally 3.8s, one was a 3.6L. The Hemi was a 5.7 and went into a 2012.
What type of compatibility issues and did they use either a Motech or RPM Extreme ECM/harness conversion kit or something else?

Quick Reply: 5.7Hemi Swap or LS