Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

About to install Nitro axle sleeves

Old 10-02-2012, 02:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by project06tj
I watched this Nitro Sleeves Install Party - YouTube and it sure looks like they are applying anti seize. Although I'm not sure of its lubricating abilities, I think I'll give it a shot. I want to make a tool like the one they used in that video, it seemed to work well. I'll check out harbor freight tomorrow, thanks.

I went with a brand i'm not allowed to speak of (not Dynatrac), I figured with 35's (and no intent to go any bigger...$$$) they should do me well.
Yes we went with anti sieze and we also cleaned out the axle tube with a rod with a rag on it. Then also swabbed it out with a paint roller on a stick which worked well. With the tool that Familytime made and a 20 pound sledge, it was 7 or 8 hits to drive it in flush. I wouldn't grind down any of the knurls. Also leave the other side on the ground for stability.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I fabbed up a tool similar to the one Familytime used, bought a 12lb sledge hammer and have it a go. Had to use a die grinder on both sides to but about 1/8" off both sides. I went thru two bearing race/seal drivers. For anyone else attempting this do not use harbor freight's aluminum seal drivers. They will slowly destroy themselves, and start to tear up the sleeve. Spend a little extra on a nicer harder material one, you won't regret it.

Either way they are in, as are the new ball joints. Can't say if the sleeves helped the ride any, but the ball joints definitely did. I figured for $100, if the sleeves prevent the tubes from bending, they are well worth it to me.

On a side note, do they make an Outter seal to use with these sleeves?
Old 11-03-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Freak

Anyone else's axle sleeves look like this? I got mine and they hve all brown spots and stuff on them...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-535950585.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	385003   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-979738763.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	385004   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2018648257.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	385005  
Old 11-03-2012, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would hit them with some steel wool
Old 11-03-2012, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam36
Anyone else's axle sleeves look like this? I got mine and they hve all brown spots and stuff on them...
Yep mine looked like that too. Just clean them off with a scotchbrite before you install them.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Okay thanks guys lol, just wanted to make sure, steel wool and some carb cleaner?

Quick Reply: About to install Nitro axle sleeves