Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adding 315/70r17's tomorrow- will I need a beefier steering stabilizer?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding 315/70r17's tomorrow- will I need a beefier steering stabilizer?

As of now I have no lift but flat fender flares and a shorty front bumper. The tires are goodyear duratrac. I will probably end up putting a 3" lift soon but I wanted to see how it did without first.

One thing I know I'll want soon is a better spare tire carrier. I mountain bike a lot so I want a real solid spare setup to be able to handle the weight as the bike carrier I have is a spare mount as well. Any ideas/opinions on which to get? I suppose most require an aftermarket bumper? I'm not putting a bike on the bigger spare till I get a better spare carrier-keeping it on road till then as well so I don't mess up my tailgate.

Oh, it's on a 2010 jk 2 door. 6spd, 3:71 gears. Just got the superchips flashpaq too.

Thanks guys
Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you won't need a beefier stabilizer for the 315. Stock should be just fine imo unless their bashed up and need replacement then get a better unit.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

I have the Rockhard rear bumper and tire carrier. If I had it to do over I would go for the Poison Spyder for a few hundred more. Steering stabilzer should not be a problem.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by renpia
No, you won't need a beefier stabilizer for the 315. Stock should be just fine imo unless their bashed up and need replacement then get a better unit.
That's what I wanted to hear. Stabililizer should be in perfect condition as it only has 3000m on it. I'm assuming all should be good as long as the duratracs balance well.

Anyone with opinions on the spare mount?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Do a search on here for the OR-Fab spare tire carrier.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TieRod
I have the Rockhard rear bumper and tire carrier. If I had it to do over I would go for the Poison Spyder for a few hundred more. Steering stabilzer should not be a problem.
Thanks- I'll check that out. Maybe a stupid question, but is changing the rear bumper about the only way to beef up the spare carrier and save my tailgate?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by smitten
That's what I wanted to hear. Stabililizer should be in perfect condition as it only has 3000m on it. I'm assuming all should be good as long as the duratracs balance well.

Anyone with opinions on the spare mount?
Consider a stabilizer relo bracket also. The stock placement is a rock magnet.

For the aftermarket carrier, there are a bunch of options. Just do some searches, they all have threads with lots of opinions to read through. If you don't want a bumper also, look at the OR Fab.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Wow. The OR-fab setup looks pretty sweet... Just a little nervous at drilling into my body but I think I could handle it. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smitten
Wow. The OR-fab setup looks pretty sweet... Just a little nervous at drilling into my body but I think I could handle it. Thanks for the help guys!
I'll second the or fab setup. All their gear is top notch. From design to materials and welds. Customer service is top notch as well.

Quick Reply: Adding 315/70r17's tomorrow- will I need a beefier steering stabilizer?