Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Adjustable Suspension

Old 05-27-2007, 04:27 AM
2JK
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Suspension

Has anyone seen, heard, or experienced an adjustable suspension, like an air bag or hydraulic coilover for the JK? I would like to retain the stock ride height, tire size and ride quality of my JK Unlimited Rubi for a couple of years, until you guys are done beta-testing all the new stuff. I do, however wish to be able to eliminate the belly drag in some offroad situations. I think an adjustable suspension would be cool. On the other hand it is a stepping stone. I'm staying stock until I get another year on this rig, since its the daily driver, and i haven't figured out what it wants to be when it grows up.

JK
Old 05-27-2007, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

There aint nothing to "beta test" with the JK suspension. Its a 4 link with panhard/tack bar, thats it.

Airbags are nice, I am actualy installing them in my off-road vehicle soon, as they do allow for adjustability to a point. That point being arms too short or caster angle change.

You can either pay for a air ride system when one is available or build it yourself. Just remember that its the "little things" that will get you like limiting straps, bump stops, control systems and a place to putthe tank and pump.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2JK
Has anyone seen, heard, or experienced an adjustable suspension, like an air bag or hydraulic coilover for the JK? I would like to retain the stock ride height, tire size and ride quality of my JK Unlimited Rubi for a couple of years, until you guys are done beta-testing all the new stuff. I do, however wish to be able to eliminate the belly drag in some offroad situations. I think an adjustable suspension would be cool. On the other hand it is a stepping stone. I'm staying stock until I get another year on this rig, since its the daily driver, and i haven't figured out what it wants to be when it grows up.

JK
Airock is coming out with something.........https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=airock
Old 05-27-2007, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

The Airock setup should be nice. It is gonna cost alot of coin, but should be well worth it. It sounds like you are looking for instant on the fly adjustability, and that would be the perfect setup.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Should have the Airock system next week (Steve told me end of May or first part of June)... DAMN expensive (don't ask, cause it still hurts thinking about it), but had the cash and fell into my impulse buying problem.

For the JK it's a complete system - engine mounted compressor, brains, suspension components, etc., and doesn't require a lift kit. I have a 4dr, so not sure if this is the same for a 2dr. I think the last thing he said he had to solve (which I think it was solved at the time I turned over the CC#) was when airing up all 4, and if you had heavy aftermarket bumpers/winch, that the front would air up slower than the back so once the back was up to full pressure, it allowed the front to come up the rest of the way as well. I think he said that the resolution was to put some flow restricters on or something.. we'll see.

Getting anxious now, I'll post something once I get it and begin the install.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:50 AM
2JK
JK Newbie

Oh contrare, usmcdoc14! Anyone lifting a JK is Beta-testing. When you consider the drastic change in the design of the Wrangler; the lack of aftermarket development, even now; and all of the horror stories about ESP failures, poor ride and handling, track bar relocation mounts breaking....ad infinitum; no way I'm touching my suspension until some one can reprogram the computers for all of the electronic goodies. I've read all of the stories about successful installations, but I've also been around a year or two; and no one is going to fess up to a bad decision, botdhed installation or investing in a product that doesn't deliver.

That being said, the Airock seems to be a good idea for the short term. My stock Rubicon Unlimited has the best ride and handling on or off road of any utility vehicle I've ever been in. I don't want to screw that up and limit my enjoyment of the vehicle as a daily driver. However, I change daily drivers every two years so there will come a day when I totally modify the JK into the BEAST that is buried inside at present. My only difficulty off road in most trail situations is that this thing is a belly dragger. I need to be able to adjust the ride height for gaining clearance at obstacles, and return to normal when finished. I also don't want to mess with the existing spring rates, 'cuz they're perfect for now.

Don't mean to be argumentative or mean, but the facts are that the current situation for aftermarket suspensions for the JK is in the experimental phase. Until someone can outsmart the computer there won't be any good long term solutions. Just my opinion.

JK
Old 05-28-2007, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2JK
Oh contrare, usmcdoc14! Anyone lifting a JK is Beta-testing. When you consider the drastic change in the design of the Wrangler; the lack of aftermarket development, even now; and all of the horror stories about ESP failures, poor ride and handling, track bar relocation mounts breaking....ad infinitum; no way I'm touching my suspension until some one can reprogram the computers for all of the electronic goodies. I've read all of the stories about successful installations, but I've also been around a year or two; and no one is going to fess up to a bad decision, botdhed installation or investing in a product that doesn't deliver.

That being said, the Airock seems to be a good idea for the short term. My stock Rubicon Unlimited has the best ride and handling on or off road of any utility vehicle I've ever been in. I don't want to screw that up and limit my enjoyment of the vehicle as a daily driver. However, I change daily drivers every two years so there will come a day when I totally modify the JK into the BEAST that is buried inside at present. My only difficulty off road in most trail situations is that this thing is a belly dragger. I need to be able to adjust the ride height for gaining clearance at obstacles, and return to normal when finished. I also don't want to mess with the existing spring rates, 'cuz they're perfect for now.

Don't mean to be argumentative or mean, but the facts are that the current situation for aftermarket suspensions for the JK is in the experimental phase. Until someone can outsmart the computer there won't be any good long term solutions. Just my opinion.

JK

Yeah, but don't for get JK, for every one problem that you hear about from someone there are tons more that are not having any problems whatsoever. I haven't had the scratchy plastic issue, or the stall bug, or the leaking top, or ESP problem with my lift, or anyother problem with my lift. Now Skyjacker had one ill designed part, but that one part does not make a lift. Adjustable track bars are your BEST bet with a lift which means upgrading to that would render the one bad Skyjacker part a non issue. And still, I've read about 2 or 3 instances where that track bar bracket has broken, but how many more have a Skyjacker lift and haven't had that problem? I'm one of them. I probably shouldn't have called out all of the non-issues that I haven't had, I probably just doomed myself. Anyway, It's all relative. Don't cheat yourself out of lifting or doing whatever to your Jeep. There are many great products out there, don't make them all out to be crap.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:40 AM
JK Newbie

good point BLKRUBI
Old 05-29-2007, 10:33 AM
2JK
JK Newbie

You all will notice I haven't listed names of the manufacturer's or compared them. I don't want to impune sponsors of this or other forums. Having been an off roader for forty years or so, I've dealt with lots of suspension and drivetrain issues. In the last few years the off road products manufacturers have really stepped up and produced much more user friendly and robust products than they did years ago. However, the change in complexity with regard to ESP, Traction Control and the BAS systems, as well as the tire size limitation in the computer for the new Wrangler affects more than driveshaft and ujoint angles like we are used to dealing with. We are ralking now about basic on-road safety systems, that need to be accounted for. From what I hear on this and other forums, there are a lot of problems, not only with the stock vehicles as purchased (although mine hasn't shown any signs of problems, yet) but also with many of the aftermarket products.

JK
Old 05-29-2007, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2JK
yes but we are not beta testing the suspension , we are beta testing the actual JK, the 4 link is pretty ok its the rest of the vehicle attached to it that is giving some issues

Quick Reply: Adjustable Suspension