Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV 2.5" Dual Sport XT - advice

Old 09-15-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV 2.5" Dual Sport XT - advice

Guys,
I placed an order for AEV 2.5" dual sport XT and I'll be picking it up Monday directly from their production facility. I checked around places for install and they all charging me from $600 - $1000, so i decided to do by myself.
This would be my first major mod ( i think it is major) and with only 700 miles.
Very excited and in the same time nervous too as I dont consider myself as a motor head. Looking for some advice as far as the tips and techniques, do's and dont's,.etc
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

DO: Make sure you have the RIGHT tools. Get a good hi-jack and some nice tall jack stands, plus all the correct tools for removing bolts and other.

DON'T: Rush

When I did my first spring lift by myself, it took my probably about 7-8 hours, and that was after someone stopped by to help me.
I would highly suggest seeing if anyone lives close to you and is willing to swing by and lend a hand, a second set of hands, while not necessarily required, is most definitely very useful.
You live in Chrysler Country, so there are most definitely a lot of forum members that live not too far away.
If it was 3 months from now I'd be about half an hour away, but that doesn't help you now :(
Old 09-15-2013, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I agree, definitely take your time and follow the directions. The fatal mistake I made was trying to but the trac bar on while the jeep was still on stands. It needs to be und ler tbe weight of the jeep on the ground to reinstall it properly. Keep an eye on your brake and abs lines as well. You need to drop the axle a bit to get the new springs on.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

AEV provides clear instructions to be read carefully.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

I put on the exact lift Memorial weekend after I picked it up from their facility. Read the instructions and make sure you have all the tools you need. Air tools really help speed things up. Everything is pretty straight forward and you have to be creative with the front passenger shock. I used a dremel to remove some plastic to get enough clearance to get the top shock nut on and tightened down. I also installed the geometry correction brackets. Once you are done, you will love the ride.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Finally got it all installed. Thanks for all the encouragement and tips you guys! It really helped. Just like you guys mentioned, got stuck on track bar reinstall and dropping axle far enough to put the new spring. Pure muscle (no pwr tool), few trips to Harbor Frights in the middle and finaClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3872-1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	499592lly after about 20hrs, its all done. now it looks like, I need a bigger tires, lol!

Quick Reply: AEV 2.5" Dual Sport XT - advice