Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV 2.5 or Teraflex 3.5 Lift

Old 11-23-2013, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEV 2.5 or Teraflex 3.5 Lift

I am trying to decide between the two options. I can have a Teraflex 3.5 installed for around a grand, and the AEV 2.5 is almost that much as just a kit, which requires me to install. Any opinions from those that have gone either way. I need to change out my OEM wheels for the Teraflex, but do not have to do so with the AEV. I am trying to save that cost if possible right now.
Also, another issue is my wife is 4" 10" and not sure if this will make a marked difference with either kit.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the AEV and love. I installed it in my garage over a weekend. It rides better than stock.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:42 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the 2.5" aev lift with drop brackets and it handles incredibly well on and off road. I netted somewhere around 3-3.5"s of total lift. I'm only 5'3" and with my 34" tires I'm at max height getting in using my side steps.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

What kind of wheeling do you do or plan to do with the rig? I think that would drive the decision. If you are doing more crawling the teraflex is easier to eventually upgrade but if you do more camping and adventure travel on backroads the AEV would shine.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, what size tires are you going to run using the stock wheels?
Old 11-23-2013, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by teancum
I am trying to decide between the two options. I can have a Teraflex 3.5 installed for around a grand, and the AEV 2.5 is almost that much as just a kit, which requires me to install. Any opinions from those that have gone either way. I need to change out my OEM wheels for the Teraflex, but do not have to do so with the AEV. I am trying to save that cost if possible right now.
Also, another issue is my wife is 4" 10" and not sure if this will make a marked difference with either kit.
I know a lot of people like the Teraflex, but a lot of people don't. I'm one of those who don't. I've had 5 different suspension set ups on my JK and Teraflex was probably the least impressive. Go with AEV if you would rather spend money just once.

Also look into Synergy. They compare their coil rates directly with AEV, but my personal opinion is that Synergy is easier to deal with. And less expensive.

Last edited by B 1000; 11-23-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would say you need to do some more research on what you need and how your suspension works. You are comparing two different kits that are built for different types of wheeling and at two different heights. Your lift should have no affect on what wheels you have, tire size will dictate that. I put together this write up for people like you so you can understand a little bit more about your jeep suspension and what it actually does. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/

Good luck with the build.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Hi,
I have the AEV 2.5" with the correction brackets and SumoSprings bumpstops and I love it.
As TheDirtman has said it all depends on what type of wheeling you want to do.
Out here in Dubai dune driving is the main off roading with some occasional wadis thrown in so my setup is ideal for what I want and do and my JK is a daily driver.
I have 285/70/17 Cooper AT3's on stock rims. Armour front/rear and a Zeon 10's winch overall netted a 3" lift.

Last edited by steve_r2; 11-24-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default Aev

I have the AEV 2.5 with brackets. The ride is great. I don't need a lot of flex so the AEV was a good choice for me. I think their stuff is quality. Used Teraflex on my TJ and was happy then. Daily driving is awesome with the AEV. Best of luck!
Old 11-30-2013, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Take a close look at the synergy lifts. I have run one for about three years now and absolutely love it. The ride quality is better than stock with progressive tuned springs. Their springs are also built in a way that provides extra length so they won't fall out of the spring buckets. I have the 1.5 and just ordered the stage 2.

Quick Reply: AEV 2.5 or Teraflex 3.5 Lift