Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEV Build

Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV Build

Not sure if I want to do an entire AEV build (Front/Rear bumper, Hood, Wheels, Nth Degree lift ect...) It is a pretty steep price and I need some feedback. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that Mowabb on here has had them do the entire build, and it came out pretty nice.

I have been adding the AEV parts myself, and for the most part it really isn't that hard to do any of their items on your own, and then you have the knowledge of how it went together, and sometimes you might see something that you like better / different than they do and you can make those changes. I also didn't have the money to pay for the conversion up front, so that was my other thing holding me back. Also by doing it myself I figure I will save about $5,500 in labor, which is worth it to me.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would get the AEV metal work (hood, corner protection) and shop elsewhere for all the other stuff. Not only is it fun to buy all the stuff seperately and constantly have parts coming in the mail, but this way you'll be able to explore all that the aftermarket has to offer.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MaloCS
Sure, shopping around is a good idea but why not include the AEV products in the process? Why should he exclude the lift, wheels and bumpers from consideration? From my experience the AEV line is just as good as anything else in the market so considering them wouldn't exactly be a waste of time.

Just asking.
Well, I just think it's smart to look at everything and not limit himself/herself to just AEV products. Think of all the potential bumpers out there that are as cool as AEV's, and $400 less to boot. TF lift kits are more complete for less money. The amount of rim choices out there are endless.

It's certainly not a waste of time to consider them but it's foolish to consider them exclusively.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:08 PM
JK Junkie

I know that a lot of people say that AEV is overpriced, and there is better this or that for less money out there, but I am a believer in what you pay for. You are paying for expertize and engineering that no other company can claim to have. They have the guy who was in charge of bringing the Rubicon to fruition Dave Yegge, the guy who gave Jeep the inspiration to bring many of the Rubicon ideas around, the LJ, and still does many of their concept vehicles Dave Harrington, and the guy who was a suspension engineer for Jeep for many years Jim Frens. No other company can even come close to touching the engineering experience, or the testing experience (in controlled conditions) that AEV has. This costs money. Also look at how many people buy one item from one company and another from someone else. Each item on their own may work really well but when you combine them you have to start custom fabricating ways to make them work together (We have read about suspensions and skids not working, wheels and control arm clearance issues, tires rubbing bumpers, etc...). All the AEV stuff you know will work together and they offer a full line of products.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

I was considering getting the AEV conversion, but decided to instead buy all their parts over time and do it all myself for several reasons:

1. Not only do you save money in the high, but not unfairly, labor cost, you learn about your vehicle and gain the knowledge and experience of working on it yourself.

2. By slowly adding parts, you can watch your vehicle evolve and experience the satisfaction of new parts over and over, instead of just once.

3. By building it up over time yourself, you don't overload your budget all at once and can get parts in the order you really need them.

So the only downside of doing it yourself is that you can't get their fancy decals... but there are ways around that...

What ever route you choose, good luck! They make great equipment.

Quick Reply: AEV Build