Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEV Control arm relocation bracket question

Old 04-09-2014, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AEV Control arm relocation bracket question

Tried to get the passenger side top control arm bolt out today and wasn't able to get the exhausted pried over enough, I was afraid something was going to break, I used a bar and a scissor jack and got it over quiet a bit but it still needed about 1/4". I decided to stop with all the cracking and popping.

Anyone know what bolt I need to replace it if I cut it? Length? Wasn't up for cutting today, I'd like to buy the replacement first.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
Tried to get the passenger side top control arm bolt out today and wasn't able to get the exhausted pried over enough, I was afraid something was going to break, I used a bar and a scissor jack and got it over quiet a bit but it still needed about 1/4". I decided to stop with all the cracking and popping. Anyone know what bolt I need to replace it if I cut it? Length? Wasn't up for cutting today, I'd like to buy the replacement first.
The instructions don't tell you to loosen the bolt, then cut it off with a sawsall?

I have never heard of anyone suggesting anything different.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Looks to me like AEV brackets come with replacement hardware.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

You will want to check to see if you damaged anything with your exhaust or manifold.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi

lol nothing like a good old laugh
Old 04-09-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My AEV drop bracket did not come with a new bolt. I have a 2011 automatic and didn't have to cut the bolt. If you haven't already done so, try loosening or removing the front bolt so you can move the control arm around while you work it out. Worked for me.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:30 PM
JK Freak

No it states to "pry the exhaust out of the way to remove ......" I would think this is the most recent gen of product. Just bought it from northridge. You must reuse the factory bolt to secure the bracket to the frame.

I was just curious if anyone that has actually done it remembers the bolt size. I'll just cut it off and take down to the hardware store to get a replacement so no one else has to talk to me like that. Thanks anyway.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
No it states to "pry the exhaust out of the way to remove ......" I would think this is the most recent gen of product. Just bought it from northridge. You must reuse the factory bolt to secure the bracket to the frame.

I was just curious if anyone that has actually done it remembers the bolt size. I'll just cut it off and take down to the hardware store to get a replacement so no one else has to talk to me like that. Thanks anyway.
No worries. AEV should have instructed you to cut the bolt and included a replacement.

You are on the right path.

It is just a little surprising that AEV didn't include a single bolt. Most lift manufacturers that I am aware of do include a replacement bolt when their kit includes front upper arms.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the AEV 3.5 duel sport kit this weekend. I cut the bolt and uses another one I had. There is a 10.9 on the head if that helps. I installed the new bolt in the opposite direction. I used a piece of PVC to prevent the bolt from falling into the frame if that makes sense. Will be much easier to get the nut on. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by standrk
I just installed the AEV 3.5 duel sport kit this weekend. I cut the bolt and uses another one I had. There is a 10.9 on the head if that helps. I installed the new bolt in the opposite direction. I used a piece of PVC to prevent the bolt from falling into the frame if that makes sense. Will be much easier to get the nut on. Just my 2 cents.
Yes I plan on reversing it like that, thanks

Quick Reply: AEV Control arm relocation bracket question