Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV Lift - Which Control Arms

Old 11-23-2008, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV Lift - Questions

I've been going back and forth trying to decide which lift to put on my 08 Rubicon Unlimited. I want to run 35s, so I think a 3" makes the most sense. I've been looking at the new AEV / Nth, it looks like they've done a lot of reasearch and testing. My concern with this lift is that they use cams, I assume to keep the cost down. Anyway, I would want to get front lower adj. control arms at the very minimum. My question is, would you guys recommend Currie or Teraflex? I don't really understand the advantages / disadantages the different "Joints" (flexjoints, johnny joints, oem bushings, etc.)

Last edited by ScottK; 11-24-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Part of the answer to that question depends on your needs and usage. If I remember right from when I was shopping for a lift the Currie and the Clayton have JohnnyJoints in both ends of the LCA. The TF has them in one (as does the RE 3.5 SuperFlex lift I have). There is a reason to run a bushing in one end and that is better isolation and a quieter ride. So if road manners are more important to you than off road articulation go with arms that have only one flex joint and a bushing. I do think the best of the flex joints are Curries JohnnyJoints which you get in both Currie and Clayton arms.

I do have one concern though. If you did decide to run a Currie or Clayton LCA with Johnny Joints at both ends it may just be spitting in the wind as the upper arms with factory bushing in each end may restrict the lower arms. If I was going to do Clayton or Currie I'd do both upper and lower arms. If you don't want to do that and just want a better way then the AEV kit to adjust caster I'd say go with TF or JKS LCA's.

FWIW I'm happy with the RE SF kit I have but if doing it again I'd spent the extra 500 and go with Clayton's 3.5 lift. I also confess that I wonder about the AEV lift. Their claim to fame is doing things right but cams for caster seems just plain wrong. I don't care for how they handles the brake hose issue either. It does look like they did a good job on the rear track bar bracket though and I would like to ride in one to see how their springs feel. I get the feeling that they were overly concerned with hitting a price point as one of the big complaints about the Nth TJ system was it's cost.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default AEV lift

I am VERY interested in the new AEV/Nth degree 3" lift suspension too. Can anyone who has this new suspension give any feedback? How do you like it? What are it's disadvantages? Advantages? Thanks for the info. I'm currently stock '08 Sahara Unlimited.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuck45
Part of the answer to that question depends on your needs and usage. If I remember right from when I was shopping for a lift the Currie and the Clayton have JohnnyJoints in both ends of the LCA. The TF has them in one (as does the RE 3.5 SuperFlex lift I have). There is a reason to run a bushing in one end and that is better isolation and a quieter ride. So if road manners are more important to you than off road articulation go with arms that have only one flex joint and a bushing. I do think the best of the flex joints are Curries JohnnyJoints which you get in both Currie and Clayton arms.

I do have one concern though. If you did decide to run a Currie or Clayton LCA with Johnny Joints at both ends it may just be spitting in the wind as the upper arms with factory bushing in each end may restrict the lower arms. If I was going to do Clayton or Currie I'd do both upper and lower arms. If you don't want to do that and just want a better way then the AEV kit to adjust caster I'd say go with TF or JKS LCA's.

FWIW I'm happy with the RE SF kit I have but if doing it again I'd spent the extra 500 and go with Clayton's 3.5 lift. I also confess that I wonder about the AEV lift. Their claim to fame is doing things right but cams for caster seems just plain wrong. I don't care for how they handles the brake hose issue either. It does look like they did a good job on the rear track bar bracket though and I would like to ride in one to see how their springs feel. I get the feeling that they were overly concerned with hitting a price point as one of the big complaints about the Nth TJ system was it's cost.

I agree that it looks like they were trying to hit a price point, but, it looks like you could get their "premium" kit, which includes the high steer kit and jack base, add control arms and brake lines from Currie or Teraflex and still be in line with the price of the other, more complete systems. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the Clayton arms (at least that is on my list next spring when I get the AEV 4" kit). Also the kit comes with a programmer for the speedo too, so when comparing to other kits don't forget to figure that in since the cheapest one I have seen is $200.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I would go with the Clayton arms (at least that is on my list next spring when I get the AEV 4" kit). Also the kit comes with a programmer for the speedo too, so when comparing to other kits don't forget to figure that in since the cheapest one I have seen is $200.
Forgot about the programmer, only problem is it hasn't been released yet. I'm considering waiting for the 4" kit too, maybe the programmer will be out by the time the kit is released. Seems like a lot of people are recommending the Clayton arms, I'm not sure they're worth the extra cost over the Currie or Teraflex. I know they have a lifetime warranty, does anybody know what kind of warranty Teraflex and Currie offer?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScottK
Forgot about the programmer, only problem is it hasn't been released yet. I'm considering waiting for the 4" kit too, maybe the programmer will be out by the time the kit is released. Seems like a lot of people are recommending the Clayton arms, I'm not sure they're worth the extra cost over the Currie or Teraflex. I know they have a lifetime warranty, does anybody know what kind of warranty Teraflex and Currie offer?
I know that TeraFlex has a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. Also from what I have heard Nth is coming out with a stinger kit (probably in time for the replacement to the JK ) and then you would only need to get lower arms.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Clayton Off Road

Hey hows it going guys.

Here is a picture of our complete set of JK arms.

Yes, we do have a lifetime warentee. It not only covers manufacturers defects, and any defects in materials, but a no questions asked warentee against bending or breaking your control arms. Basically we believe we have the strongest arms on the market, and we stand behind that. Just so we are clear, the warentee does NOT cover wear items. So bushings are NOT covered, but we use the best of the best. Currie makes great forged johnny joints so thats what we use on one end. This gives us the adjustment we need and the flex joint to let the suspension freely move. The other end uses a Clevite mechanically bonded bushing, this provides better road isolation then any heim joint or even the johnny joint. Some companies uses knock off bushings which look almost the same, but what happens is that center sleave is not bonded in the same process and will loosen up and cause slop. This will be as bad/cheap as a poly bushing and metal pushed in sleave.

Justed wanted to add a little information about our products. If you have any other questions or comments please feel free to email me at sales@claytonoffroad.com

More JK components

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...tonOffRoad/JK/

Thanks

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

Adam
Clayton Off Road Mfg.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 99BoggerTJ
Justed wanted to add a little information about our products. If you have any other questions or comments please feel free to email me at sales@claytonoffroad.com

More JK components

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...tonOffRoad/JK/

Thanks

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

Adam
Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Adam,

What are your thoughts on the standard length arms on the JK and converting to long arms. I know on a TJ they were a necessity to get much of a lift but the JK seems to be a different animal. Do you have any plans to introduce long arms?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Clayton Off Road

Originally Posted by chuck45
Adam,

What are your thoughts on the standard length arms on the JK and converting to long arms. I know on a TJ they were a necessity to get much of a lift but the JK seems to be a different animal. Do you have any plans to introduce long arms?
I have a 4 dr JK with our 4.5 inch lift and 37s. I hate 2 things about it. Not enough power, even with 5.13 gear to spin those massive 37 inch Toyo M/Ts. And the soft top, well maybe im just being lazy, but I think its sort of a pain to fold up and down.

Besides that the ride is great, and love the Jeep overall. Was not fond of the big fenders when I first saw them, but they grew on me, and I think Jeep did a great all around job on the JK. Well besides the damn head rest. LOL

I have had customer come down to my shop, and if they are on here, feel free to chime in. I am more then welcome to take anyone for a ride, or let you drive it. The Jeep rides great, and I wouldn't change a thing. Its also nice knowing its all bolt on, so even if you lease your Jeep, you can easily swap everything back to stock.

Basically long arms help reduce the angle of the control arms. The TJ ones start at 16 inch in length, and to fit 35s most people need about 5-6 inches of lift. This causes the arm to be at a fairly steep angle, causing many issues. My JK lower arms with the 4.5 inch lift which is all that is needed to run 37s, are basically at the same angle as one of our TJ 5.5 inch long arm kits. So basically because Jeep designed the JK with longer stock lower arms, and larger wheel wells, we can fit the 35-37s that most customers are looking for 3-4 inches of lift so long arms are not necessary.

I think if your going to go over 5.5-6 inches of lift, that's when the long arms will start making a noticeable difference.

Hey well if your in the Norwalk CT area, ill be cruising around in it this holiday weekend. Feel free to flag me down and ask for a ride.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Adam

Quick Reply: AEV Lift - Which Control Arms