Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

afe exhaust raspy

Old 10-02-2014, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default afe exhaust raspy

My afe scorpion hi tuck exhaust is real raspy when its just been started up and drove on for the first mile or so. Seems like when it warms up it goes away.
Does anyone else have this issue?

Its kind of annoying and embarrising to have a raspy exhaust on a jeep.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Just installed mine this week too. I noticed it as well. goes away after it has been running a minute or so.

This is a warmed up clip

http://youtu.be/PWXiSV91WSM?list=UUhP6H1aXtan7wjQ7kLOjVKw
Old 10-03-2014, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Crippler
Just installed mine this week too. I noticed it as well. goes away after it has been running a minute or so.

This is a warmed up clip

YouTube Link: http://youtu.be/PWXiSV91WSM?list=UUhP6H1aXtan7wjQ7kLOjVKw
I thought it sounded good but im no exhaust pro
Old 10-03-2014, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

My JK has an axle back Flowmaster, I have the same problem. It's honestly embarrassing
Old 10-03-2014, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeep757
I thought it sounded good but im no exhaust pro
yeah that is warmed up. Even cold it isn't all that bad only lasts a minute or so
Old 10-03-2014, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, its just the first couple minutes when the rpms get worked on. Its so lame to know I spent over $350 for an exhaust, and its embarrassing when I start up and pull away in the morning. I did my research too.
Listened to a lot of exhaust videos of the afe Mach force hi tuck. And I was told by afe the Mach force and the scorpion are the same except the scorpion muffler is aluminized.
So either shame on afe for putting out a sub par exhaust. Or shame on me for thinking it would sound the same.
the scorpion exhaust was in development for a couple months when I ordered it. So it was back ordered for a while. But was told by afe that it was the same as Mach force. same tubing, same diameter, same muffler style, just aluminuzed, and that shouldn't affect the sound.
All the Mach force hi tuck videos I've seen sound good. No rasp or rattling.

So.... buyer beware!

Had a magnaflow exhaust on my '11 2dr, sound was awesome. Should've gotten that.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
Yeah, its just the first couple minutes when the rpms get worked on. Its so lame to know I spent over $350 for an exhaust, and its embarrassing when I start up and pull away in the morning. I did my research too.
Listened to a lot of exhaust videos of the afe Mach force hi tuck. And I was told by afe the Mach force and the scorpion are the same except the scorpion muffler is aluminized.
So either shame on afe for putting out a sub par exhaust. Or shame on me for thinking it would sound the same.
the scorpion exhaust was in development for a couple months when I ordered it. So it was back ordered for a while. But was told by afe that it was the same as Mach force. same tubing, same diameter, same muffler style, just aluminuzed, and that shouldn't affect the sound.
All the Mach force hi tuck videos I've seen sound good. No rasp or rattling.

So.... buyer beware!

Had a magnaflow exhaust on my '11 2dr, sound was awesome. Should've gotten that.
I'm thinking about switching out mine to a magnaflow. I'll let you know if I do and how it sounds.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every exhaust on every car sounds louder and raspier upon start up due to moisture build up and the engine running slightly richer, especially in colder areas. I wouldn't blame afe for this.

If it bothers you, go back to stock. To me, the 1-2 minutes of annoying warm up time would be outweighed by the auditory enjoyment I experience the rest of the time.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
Every exhaust on every car sounds louder and raspier upon start up due to moisture build up and the engine running slightly richer, especially in colder areas. I wouldn't blame afe for this.

If it bothers you, go back to stock. To me, the 1-2 minutes of annoying warm up time would be outweighed by the auditory enjoyment I experience the rest of the time.
Not completely true. Every exhaust i had on every vehicle i owned never sounded raspy at start up. Louder, yes. But not raspy and farty sounding. This afe exhaust is really ricey for the first few minutes.

Dont get me wrong, i like the exhaust. I like the design and the exhaust note. Its just that initial start up and first few minutes of driving that im not happy with.

Quick Reply: afe exhaust raspy