Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

aFe sporpion exhaust

Old 07-28-2014, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aFe sporpion exhaust

hi all!
can someone help me understand the differences between 2 exhausts?

I ordered this : aFe Power 49-08042 - aFe Power 2.5" Scorpion Aluminized Hi-Tuck Cat-Back Exhaust System for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec
it's still on backorder from aFe. apparently, I ordered it while it was still in R&D and they were manufacturing them, and said i'd have it by the 1st week of august. is this true? why would quadratec or anyone else sell the item when it's only in production and not "out" yet.

has anyone heard of their scorpion exhaust? and how is it different from the mach force exhaust?
like this one let's say : aFe Power 49-46212 - aFe Power Mach Force XP Hi-Tuck 2.5" CAT Back Exhaust for 12-14 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with 3.6L - Quadratec

they look exactly the same, except the scorpion looks a little darker.

and also, what is the difference between the 07-11 exhausts and the 12-14 exhausts?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump? Anyone?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably best to call afe. I don't think there are really any differences between years for a bolt-in cat back. It does look like that exhaust system can be had with the muffler under the driver side and dumped after the axle, vs. tucked in the stock location. I'd prefer eliminating the rear location, but if you don't wheel, then not a big deal.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

From reading the description on their website I believe the muffler itself is suppose to be more corrosive resistant. Most likely for areas like ours where the winter roads are treated with harsh chemicals. I have a AFE exhaust and it has held up well but I Never Dull it a few times a year. The 7-11 are designed for the 3.8 liter engine and the 12-14 is designed for the 3.6 liter.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

But what's the difference in thos years? Flange position?
Hanger positions?
The exhausts look exactly the same on the website. The scorpion exhaust fits 07-14. But the Mach force only fits 07-11 OR 12-14.

I'm gonna call afe today if I think of it
Old 07-29-2014, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
But what's the difference in thos years? Flange position? Hanger positions? The exhausts look exactly the same on the website. The scorpion exhaust fits 07-14. But the Mach force only fits 07-11 OR 12-14. I'm gonna call afe today if I think of it
Let us know what they say. As invest said, they also make one that moves the muffler next to the evap and dumps on the drivers side eliminating that muffler tucked up under the rear. That's the one I was looking at.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah but that one is not street legal in PA . My jeep is also my DD
Old 08-15-2014, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

so, i had the same question. So I called aFe up and they explained the difference. The Mach Force is stainless, the Scorpion is aluminized.

I highly recommend calling them with any questions. Great to deal with. Gave me a great price on an intake and exhaust combo package. I went with the aFe Power Mach Force XP Hi-Tuck 2.5" CAT Back Exhaust, which has the high tuck muffler in the back. I found that having a muffler way up in the exhaust path gives a very raspy exhaust note (not tuned sounding), and having a muffler closer to the tips really smoothes out the sound. They are both High-tuck, so I didn't see the difference when it came to wheeling.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I actually just got mine last Friday and installed it. The scorpion exhaust looks nice, and Is functional for higher clearance. Though yes, the exhaust note is a little raspy at higher rpms. Has a nice growl at low rpms and cruising speed though.
the Mach force and the scorpion are the same set up, so the sound would be the same between them. Though the video i saw of the Mach force didn't sound raspy at all. A little dissappointed with the sound.....but its not TOO bad. I'm hoping it will "break in" and the high rpm rasp with settle down.
high tuck design is nice though, and overall I'm happy with it.

I used to have a magnaflow exhaust on my old 2 door jk, I loved it. Should've gotten that exhaust for the jku.

Live and learn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140815_195404.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	571334  
Old 08-15-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140815_210838.jpg
Views:	1656