Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Air Intake

Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Intake

I'm looking for some advice on an air intake, with so many out there, does it really matter which one i buy. for example the pure jeep cold air intake costs about 200 bucks, while a k&n air is around 350 for what seems to be the same thing. If any of you out there has any recommendations or input regarding the differences please let me know.

Thanks

Rob
Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

just get a drop in, i dont believe there has been any real gains ever proven, other than looks
but i have the airaid
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Save your money and put it on a mod that will actually do something. You will see no power or MPG gains with a CAI, just more noise. I have installed a couple different ones on past JK's, and finally decided this was one useless mod.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Junkie

If you want one, buy one, but you won't see any perf or MPG gains. It'll sound cool but you might end up with an air inlet lower than than stock. That's important if you're one of those guys that thinks Trail Rated means seaworthy.

You can piece together one yourself from Spectre components at a local auto parts store for FAR less $ than one of the "big names".
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. Save the money for a different mod. Just sold my Airaid after 3 months on the JK. As a stand alone mod it only offers a change in the sound of your engine. I actually lost a couple MPG's. After returning to the stock intake, I got the MPG's back.
Before I bought the Airaid, I asked the exact same question here on the Forum. Many different responses, but the majority were negative, concerning the intake. Had it in my head that I was going to buy one so I focused on the positive responses and bought it anyways. Poor choice. Don't be fooled.

This is my experience. Others may have a different view.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like a lot of negative comments. I wonder if anyone has any data showing with and without a CAI on a dyno?

I think that would be the ultimate answer. I have been considering a CAI myself, so I'm glad you started this thread.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

HEY!!!
I just finished beating this "dead horse".. who's hungry?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Outlaw
Looks like a lot of negative comments. I wonder if anyone has any data showing with and without a CAI on a dyno?

I think that would be the ultimate answer. I have been considering a CAI myself, so I'm glad you started this thread.
Don't need a dyno. The gas pump will let ya know soon enough. If you are on a budget. And can only do a little at a time. Then start with the exhaust. This mode will offer very little in performance gains. But it will not cost you very much in performance either. Second, buy a tuner. Then last, buy the intake. You could buy the tuner first. But never do the air without a tuner.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone, i have the superchips installed now, so i guess i'll drop the idea of the cai, and if you were all here, i'd use the cash for pizza and beer to say thanks to you all.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

I'm going to play devil's advocate here since this discussion seems to be a bit lopsided...

I have a volant cai and i'm glad I got it. I bought it used and spent the money i saved on a better filter and a prefilter for it.

since i installed it about 6 months ago, i've done my best to hit every puddle and splash as much water around as i could. this past weekend i opened up the airbox and had a look at it and there was no appreciable amount of water stain on the prefilter. i'm really not too worried about sucking water into the engine with this setup, short of hitting water more than 4" deep at a good clip.

MPGs i noticed an improvement at install, but shortly after i added maybe 250lbs of steel bumpers and saw my MPGs go back to where they were stock.

throttle response i noticed a difference, and i like the mild engine tone difference, so sue me.

just my $0.02.

Quick Reply: Air Intake