Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Air Intake

Old 03-29-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My JKU will be "seaworthy" on the 16th when the custom snorkel goes in and gain a 2 for 1 .... Snorkel/CAI.....

You can go to siliconeintakes.com and get everything you need to make own CAI for under $100 with shipping....
Old 03-29-2011, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reechee
I'm going to play devil's advocate here since this discussion seems to be a bit lopsided...

I have a volant cai and i'm glad I got it. I bought it used and spent the money i saved on a better filter and a prefilter for it.

since i installed it about 6 months ago, i've done my best to hit every puddle and splash as much water around as i could. this past weekend i opened up the airbox and had a look at it and there was no appreciable amount of water stain on the prefilter. i'm really not too worried about sucking water into the engine with this setup, short of hitting water more than 4" deep at a good clip.

MPGs i noticed an improvement at install, but shortly after i added maybe 250lbs of steel bumpers and saw my MPGs go back to where they were stock.

throttle response i noticed a difference, and i like the mild engine tone difference, so sue me.

just my $0.02.
So, all in all, you spent how much money to get right back to your stock MPG's?
The sound was the only thing my Airaid really changed. That's why i got rid of mine. Haven't had a single drop of water inside the stock air box either.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.gonzo
So, all in all, you spent how much money to get right back to your stock MPG's?
The sound was the only thing my Airaid really changed. That's why i got rid of mine. Haven't had a single drop of water inside the stock air box either.
Like I said...my fuel economy is better because of the intake. by 1-2 mpg's.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The best air intake you can get is a full out snorkel. They actually draw cooler air and it is ram air as well. Other than that- put a quick drop in filter in there and go about your way.
Agreed. A drop in K&N will give you the same benifit as a CAI. A snokel knocks out two birds with one stone. I'm waiting on the Rugged Ridge Snorkel to come out becuase I think the looks are gonna be a lot more pleasing than a traditional snorkel.
If you don't like the looks of a snorkel check out the Rugged Ridge proposed design on this forum. Search - snorkel design.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by reechee
Like I said...my fuel economy is better because of the intake. by 1-2 mpg's.
From everything that I have studied, your one of the lucky ones. Someone won the lottery last week too. But it wasn't me!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

I got the volant CAI and like it the MPG around 1 but throttle response is better and the sound is just right . Bought mine on Amazon was about $80.00 cheaper

Quick Reply: Air Intake