Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airaid- Jet Chip Stage 2- Borla Exhaust

Old 06-04-2007, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airaid- Jet Chip Stage 2- Borla Exhaust - Mods Installed

Here's what I added to my JK.

I started off with an Airaid Intake- Ebay $225 Shipped Brand New.
It gives a deep growl and there was an instant increase in power. Mostly felt from 0-20mph. Midrange is ok but not great. As far as Gas- still the same. Install time 40 minutes.

Next I installed the Jet Chip Stage 2 chip= Ebay brand new $175. I reset the CPU by disconnecting both cables from the battery and grounding the "+"
Felt more power in the low end again and gas well I kinda had alot of travel time seeing how fast she goes and gas was way worse, but thats my fault.
Only when I babied it did I get an increase of 1-2 mpg. Install time 10 minutes

Last I installed the Borla muffler only attachment. I was thinking of the other pipes cat back, but it makes no more power and its the same size pipes. so why waste extra $$. Sound change is so minimal my wife didn't realize it until I told her 45 minutes later into the drive. Gas mile increase 1-2 mpg 14-16. Install time 30 minutes.

All in all she's alot faster than stock. MPG is hard to register because she's alot faster. But I will baby for a while to get an acurate reading.

I drove 200 miles from NJ to MD this past weekend and only got 16 MPG and on the way home I got 18 MPG.

Thats without the borla on. So I will let you guys know in a few weeks.

Mike

Last edited by DBB888; 06-04-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK Gas Milage is at 17.4 MPG after this install but also I was on all highway.

This makes me wonder about the 16-19 MPG on the siticker.

I bought all this to help the gas milage but its still about the same. All 3 have improved acceleration. I'd say about a 20-25 hp gain. My butt dyno my be off but from 0-30 is Great now.

Midrange 50-70 shifts into lower gear faster than before.

The lag is improved, but still there.

Mike
Old 06-06-2007, 04:31 AM
JK Junkie

Just curious about your mileage, because your MPG seems a bit low given those improvements... how many miles are on the odometer?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:11 AM
JK Super Freak

your milage seems low

also remember with the stage 2 chip you should fill up with premium

i did a similiar test but i only have a stage 1 chip and gas milage is better with premium and premium isnt mandatory for the stage 1 chip like it is for the stage 2

im sure you will see beter milage with premium
Old 06-06-2007, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I do put premium- all the time

Miles is 7200 so far. I know gas on my JK sucks
Old 06-06-2007, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you guys babying the throttle? Maybe its just my driving. OK Just filled it up so I will try it again.

Plus I do alot of stop and go highway traffic with my commute.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you guys going by the computer read out?

Mine says 17-18 but when calculating it manually by resetting the trip and refueling and dividing it out its always 2 mpg lower

Stupid Computer
Old 06-06-2007, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine is still stock engine wise and it got 17.5 last night according to the computer. I've got 4K miles. I dp plan a CAI and exhaust; I can hardly hear the engine.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

ha, im getting about 15-16 mpg mixed driving but it is "big city" driving where even highway driving can be spend in stop and go.

Someone on another forum is debating with me over the Jet Stage1 chip. They say its pointless because the computer will "learn" the chip and the power gain will go away. I said it trims fuel curves, the computer cant undo that...
Old 06-07-2007, 05:11 AM
JK Junkie

I have a CAI, but haven't upgraded my muffler yet. I'm running stock height and tires, and am averaging a LIFETIME (total miles driven / total gallons consumed) of 17 MPG, hand-calc'd. I averaged 18.5 MPG my last tankful, and I DO NOT baby it at all... in fact, I sometimes have to remind myself to slow down and not "gun it" from a dead stop.

I have 4K on the odometer right now, and it's MPG has steadily improved as the miles piled up. Initially, I was only getting 14.5 MPG! That's why I'm questioning your mileage: I would think that with your mods, you'd be getting better mileage than me... and I was hoping that adding an aftermarket exhaust would net me another .5 - 1 MPG...

Quick Reply: Airaid- Jet Chip Stage 2- Borla Exhaust