Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Airaid pain avoidance!!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, someone might want to give a heads up to airaid so they can add a note to their instructions. I sure am glad I read this!
Old 07-11-2007, 04:07 AM
JK Junkie

This is what I sent to AirAid last night....

Hi,

I would like to first off start by saying I love your product!!!

I have an '07 wrangler and I love the fit and finish of your product. I also love that it's made right here in the good 'ol US of A.

The main reason for this email, however, is to complain. Sorry. I purchased this product having been torn between 2 other products. After seeing the overall satisfaction that the individuals on a jk forum I frequent were having with their AirAids I made my choice. It only took me a few minutes during the install to run into a problem. I hate to say it, but if the instructions that were given with the product slightly better, I could have avoided the problem. When I was removing the air temperature sensor from my stock device I did exactly what the instructions said, and appeared to imply. Quote, "remove the temperature sensor from the factory intake tube by using a circular motion while pulling out, There is no need to disconnect the wiring harness". The photo supplied with the instructions even show a hand grabbing the area in question. Well it was that piece that the hand is grabbing that broke. And I found out later that I was not alone. If I would have simply disconnected it first, and then removed the sensor I would have surely avoided this mishap. The part I need to replace costs me $40 from the dealership. And from the looks of it I may not even be able to install this part because it looks like it has very long wires, and who knows where they might go. I found out that I was not alone on this matter when I posted a thread on the forum I spoke of titled "Airaid pain avoidance" , to help future Airaid'ers from making the same mistake I made. Well, I received a pretty big response almost immediately with guys telling me they did the exact same thing. I would like to send you the link so you can see and hopefully make changes to your instructions to help to improve your customer satisfaction. I will write back in a week If I do not receive a response because I know that some spam filters will not allow a link to be sent via email or they will block it. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11710

Thank you very much for your time,
RF
Old 07-11-2007, 04:22 AM
JK Freak

I simply removed the connection and then pulled (after removing the tube first). This gave me great leverage and no damage to anything.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bighaeb
I simply removed the connection and then pulled (after removing the tube first). This gave me great leverage and no damage to anything.

Ditto that for me... I saw they said I didn't have to unplug it, but I thought it seemed like a good idea anyway. So I guess go on and unplug it for those that haven't installed yet!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I even took it a step further and cut the sensor out of the rubber stock hose. I had read how fragile the sensor is and didn't even want to take a chance.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

it's not the sensor itself that is fragile, the problem is where it attaches to the harness it is connected to. that connection/clamp breaks when you pull on it without disconnecting it first.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I got REAL lucky. I installed mine a few months ago, and followed the instructions. Felt real weak, so I was extra carefull and it didn't break. Sorry for you guys that it broke on. Any word back from Airraid on a warning or a modification to the instructions?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:34 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bighaeb
Ditto - and posted details in a thread I started about my AIRAID install, to save others from this pain... sorry you guys didn't see it first!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:21 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm not even running this CAI, but I'm going to go out and break mine off anyway!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Ah, thank you guys for making me feel better! I broke the harness clip last night and was considering sending the CAI back - I figured if I had that much difficulty on step1, the other 19 steps were going to drive me insane. After I broke the harness clip I disconnected the hose anyway, and just pulled on the sensor itself for maybe 5 minutes - I think mine might be bonded to the damn hose

On a positive note, I took my JK into my dealership today, and they are replacing the clamp at no charge (no questions asked!). Once I get the harness clip replaced I am going to try it again, after disconnecting the harness and removing the hose from the engine. Has anyone else had problems getting the sensor itself out of the hose, but resolved it without cutting? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Airaid pain avoidance!!