Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Alittle U-Joint Help

Old 02-17-2014, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alittle U-Joint Help

I am fairly certain my U-Joints have met their end.

Symptoms: When I accelerate I get a good bit of vibration for 1500-1800rpm range. Less vibration when not under as much load (ie slight down hill). Moderate clunk sometimes when going from Park to Drive.

I have a 4.5" RE Long Arm which has been install for 90,000 miles. The U-Joints are the ones that fit the shafts that came with my lift.

Long story short what U-Joints should I have? So I can order new ones. I assume 1350's.

The jeep is a 2009 JKUR.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't assume...measure the joint. Make sure to measure both sides because I have seen some RE shafts that use "special" joints.

U Joint Measuring Guide
Old 02-18-2014, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks I pulled the drive shaft last night, and have my girlfriend dropping it off at Driveline of Baton Rouge this morning.

I decided I wanted it balanced, and the joints (x3) installed with a press. We've used these guys for years. I remember him telling me one time that he could pull shafts out of 100 brand new Chevy's and 80 of them would be in need of balancing.

I'll let everyone know what model Spicer's he pops in it so it can be online for reference.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, and it is kinda nice being mobile with no rear drive shaft!!

Not too many vehicles out there that can accomplish this...
Old 02-18-2014, 05:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL...sounds about right for a Chevy

Glad to hear you got it taken care of. Good driveline shops are getting fewer and fewer.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

A little update.

The driveline place told me the RE shaft has 1310s in it (x3) and also he told me not to balance it because the weights are still on it and his balancer is for race car specs. He said if the shaft vibrates with the new joints then we will throw it in the balancer. Nice guy, saved me $65 bucks on not balancing it.

Quick Reply: Alittle U-Joint Help