Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

All Terrain Shoot Out!

Old 11-19-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran pro-comp MT's on my XJ and my only compalint was WEAK WEAK WEAK sidewalls....punctured one on my first trip out, less than 2K on the tire....no warantee or even pro-rating offered from Pro-Comp....I was none too pleased by that.
However ther "Xtreme MT" sounds like it has a stronger sidewall and, for an MT, look like it would be very quiet on the street. I'd consider that for my next tire.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stuka
Love these tires. Kind of a cross between an AT and an MT. Quiet and smooth like an AT, but more of a bite than most others.

Cooper S/T

I am running these too and love them. I have run the BFG AT's on other vehicles and the Cooper is better both on and off road, especially on wet roads and in mud. If they don't have them in stock Discount Tires can get them for you, I ordered mine through Travis here on the forum.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's another vote for the PCXAT.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi all,

I'm glad to see a lot of posts on this, it really helps me. I just found out yesterday while pricing various sets at Les Schwab that Mickey Thompson/Cepek is owned by Cooper. Not that it matters really, but is that true?

-Derek
Old 11-20-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepin Dad
I am running these too and love them. I have run the BFG AT's on other vehicles and the Cooper is better both on and off road, especially on wet roads and in mud. If they don't have them in stock Discount Tires can get them for you, I ordered mine through Travis here on the forum.
Are the Coopers as bad about picking up rocks as the BFG A/T? Looke like maybe not because of wider spaces between tread blocks, but with nothing to compare to, it's kinda hard to tell. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Are the Coopers as bad about picking up rocks as the BFG A/T? Looke like maybe not because of wider spaces between tread blocks, but with nothing to compare to, it's kinda hard to tell. Thanks.
I have a long gravel driveway. The tires do pick up a rock now and then, but most of the gravel is too small to be picked up. BFG AT's certainly pick up more rocks because of the tighter tread design.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Percheron
Hi all,

I'm glad to see a lot of posts on this, it really helps me. I just found out yesterday while pricing various sets at Les Schwab that Mickey Thompson/Cepek is owned by Cooper. Not that it matters really, but is that true?

-Derek
Cooper owns a lot of tire brands out there. *ALL* Pro Comp tires are manufactured by Cooper. The Pro Comp Extreme MT and the Cooper STT use the same tire carcas, only the tread patern and rubber compound are changed (pro comps being a bit softer).
Old 11-20-2008, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Percheron
Hi all,

-Derek
Mickey Thompson/Cepek and the procomps are all manufactured by cooper.

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
The coopers do not pick up nearly as many stones due to the larger void ratio
Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Stuka
Love these tires. Kind of a cross between an AT and an MT. Quiet and smooth like an AT, but more of a bite than most others.

Cooper S/T

thank you! I was about to post this as my suggestion. From experience these things clear mud better than an AT really has a right to do.

How about those Wrangler SRA's?

JK
Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Spillidge
I have run the BFG AT and the Dick Cepek FCII. My opinion is the Cepek is a better tire. The tires lasted much longer than the BFG and cleaned a bit better in muddy areas.

I think the Cepek may be a harder compound than the BFG's.
My BFG's got really chewed up driving on gravel/shale roads heading out to a mining camp (200 kms each way) But the Cepeks held up much better.

I found the BFG's to be a better tire in snow/icy conditions though.
Overall my opinion is go with the Cepeks, last long, work great and look cool!
Same experience with the Dick Cepek FC II's. A lot better wearing tire than the BFG A/T's on forestry roads (gravel, shale, sand...etc.) I got an extra 25,000km on Dick Cepek's vs the BFG A/T's on my F-150 truck that I used and all in the same conditions.

I have to agree somewhat with the snow...but I they are fairly close when it comes to ice and snow....but my Dick Cepek's were 12.5 wide vs. 11.5 wide on the BFG A/T's I ran.....so I think some influence with width came into play with the ice and snow.

Add another All-terrain tire Vote for Dick Cepek FC II

Quick Reply: All Terrain Shoot Out!