Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

All terrains that ride nice?

Old 11-20-2010, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my bfg all terrains, however when I eventually upgrade to a bigger tire I am going the Duratrac route
Old 11-20-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkman77

i have duratracs 235 85 16 11ply tough and get really good traction. Just a little stiff on a jeep.
11 ply ? Really. Even the tires on my work truck are only a 8 ply. I didn't think you can get that kind of a rating on a lt/pass vehicle tire. I'm going to check that out, unless I'm missing something there
Old 11-20-2010, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by quinnfrontz
i have 35 inch nitto terra grapplers, and they ride like stock
X2 Terra Grapplers= Great ride!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

Another vote for Duratracs here, at around 35 PSI I find they ride great and wear very well. Another option you might want to look at are Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's (like AK4Dave said), I went for a rip in a 4 door with these tires on it and the ride was great, can't say what they're like offroad or in snow etc. Silent Armor's are horrible tires, everyone I know who has them hates them with a passion.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jcs07jk
11 ply ? Really. Even the tires on my work truck are only a 8 ply. I didn't think you can get that kind of a rating on a lt/pass vehicle tire. I'm going to check that out, unless I'm missing something there
read the side of one . lt 235 85 16 are found on 3/4 and 1 tons. call any tire supplier and confirm but yes they are 11 ply.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Duratracs are popular bc of the MT look. However, they are only 2 ply on the sidewall and don't self clean very well. The guys on my trail rides with them have trouble in the mud and bead breaks when aired down. Several will disagree bc they are cool looking and a new design. The BFG All terrain is tough as nails. I have never lost a bead or punctured one on sharp rocks. No, they are not a MT. But they do clean the mud better than the Duratrac. The Duratrac performs very well in wet weather. The BFG AT tire performs well in wet weather just not as great as the Duratrac. The road noise and ride is great on both.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shockwaveaz
The Duratracs are popular bc of the MT look. However, they are only 2 ply on the sidewall and don't self clean very well. The guys on my trail rides with them have trouble in the mud and bead breaks when aired down. Several will disagree bc they are cool looking and a new design. The BFG All terrain is tough as nails. I have never lost a bead or punctured one on sharp rocks. No, they are not a MT. But they do clean the mud better than the Duratrac. The Duratrac performs very well in wet weather. The BFG AT tire performs well in wet weather just not as great as the Duratrac. The road noise and ride is great on both.

wrong about the side wall plys. different load rated tires have different amount of plys. two tires of the same size can and do have different number of plys.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:56 PM
JK Jedi

I just want the best, softest riding tire for the road. I don't rock crawl.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I just want the best, softest riding tire for the road. I don't rock crawl.
Let me help you out with this. I recently purchased some Hankook Dynapro AT's. I bought them because I had too. The Cooper Discoverer's that were on my Rubi had large chunks of rubber missing from the tread after an off-road excursion. The coopers were quiet, but they felt every bump on the road. I couldn't buy soda, because after 3 miles of freeway driving, all of the carbonation would be gone. I bought the Hankooks from the recommendation of Discount tire. I was shopping at Costco at the time and they told me that these tires are the way to go. The price was right too at $115 that day. They are now $120. They are so nice on the freeway and there is no noise coming from them at all. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good AT. Btw, I am running 245/75/17 so I am not too far off of your tire size. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkman77
wrong about the side wall plys
In terms of load rating (tread plys can be higher ) The sidewall of the Duratrac design is 2 ply all sizes all load ranges confirmed by GY. Why do you think they don't advertise the sidewall rating? This would be a huge selling point since most A/T tires are only two. I'm not knocking the tire. Its a great tire. It's Just why I went a different route. Doesn't matter since the op is not concerned about the rocks.

The best softest A/T for the road... Don't wheel much tire - Take a look at the REVO or the Michelin LTX A/T 2 very nice tires.

Quick Reply: All terrains that ride nice?