Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Aluminum vs. Steel Fenders

Old 04-16-2013, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I debated on the steel vs aluminum for a while, even a mix of the two, with aluminum up front, and steel in the rear. I ultimately decided to just go with the PSC aluminum set for the weight savings, and not having to worry about rust. Rocks, pebbles, and road salt constantly getting thrown into steel flares would have made it worse. This is also coupled with the fact that there are gaps and crevices underneath the flares between the welds that moisture can get trapped in. The aluminum seem to be plenty strong, and I believe the body would be damaged before the flares would.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me if I was worried about a extra 20 pounds I would go on a diet or kick the dog out of the Jeep (she is 60 pounds) I know weight is a factor but I think people go to crazy about it
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by madmike232
To me if I was worried about a extra 20 pounds I would go on a diet or kick the dog out of the Jeep (she is 60 pounds) I know weight is a factor but I think people go to crazy about it
Yeah, except its an extra 20 lbs each flare--so 80 lbs, and the weight is up relatively high on the vehicle, instead of down low. I do agree with you to an extent, but an extra 80 lbs there, plus passengers, big tires, steel front bumper, rear steel bumper/tirecarrier, winch, rock sliders, skids, recovery gear, etc, it adds up pretty quickly.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mistasparkl

Yeah, except its an extra 20 lbs each flare--so 80 lbs, and the weight is up relatively high on the vehicle, instead of down low. I do agree with you to an extent, but an extra 80 lbs there, plus passengers, big tires, steel front bumper, rear steel bumper/tirecarrier, winch, rock sliders, skids, recovery gear, etc, it adds up pretty quickly.
We are both trying to prove the same point. Less weight = better performance /drive better/ mpgs. There are so many way to go about the situation though. A heavy as crap jk on 35s might "outperform " a light jk on 37s. Back to the point I tend to go for steel products because they are easy to repair, more rugged ,and cheaper to buy and as far as weigh Ill make sacrifices in other places. Its just comes down to the person modding there Jeep.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running aluminum and I have to say they are plenty strong. I have laid them into some rocks and trees with nothing more than scratches. If you plan on pin balling yourself down a trail then maybe you want steel but I believe that will be the least of your worries. For where I live the no rusting aspect of aluminum is a plus and lighter weight is always good.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just went thru it myself. Posted a thread as well deciding wheels. Originally i was choosing between 2 steel MT28/88. I ended up going alloy ProComp 7069. I think there is a significant weight difference (49 lbs) by my calculations. and ill be off-road maybe once every other month. The other thing with steel is that some people run into not perfectly rounded edges due to how they are made where as the alloy are much more likely to be exact same cut. I think if you're wheeling a lot and you do a lot of rock crawling steel is probably the way to go but for a DD and the occasional offroad alloy may be the better choice. But just depends on what you plan on doing. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm an idiot. Disregard everything I just said! Haha
Old 04-17-2013, 10:22 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aluminum:

Nemesis Industries flares look amazing.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Also encase of repair. There are a ton of guys and shops who can Mig weld vs Tig weld. But Aluminum is much lighter.

Quick Reply: Aluminum vs. Steel Fenders