Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any problem with this??

Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 AM
MKW
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any problem with this??

Ok, so I have 16x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing and GY DT 315/75-16 tires. I put the spare on the stock tire carrier and the bottom of the tire sits right in the cut-out in the stock rear bumper. The edge of the tire sits about 1" deep into the cut-out. I can open and close the tailgate with only a slight drag of the tire on the bumper. Can any of y'all see any problems with this??
I'm thinking maybe that with the tire resting on the bumper a little that it may actually give the heavier tire/wheel combo some extra support...am I missing something??

Mike
Old 01-02-2013, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Well it will hold for the time being.. Even though there dosent appear to be a problem with it "resting" there, it is putting alot of un-needed stress on the rear hatch.

If it holds leave it, but my .02 says get a rear bumper/swing away tire carrier. They look so much better than stock
Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MKW
Ok, so I have 16x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing and GY DT 315/75-16 tires. I put the spare on the stock tire carrier and the bottom of the tire sits right in the cut-out in the stock rear bumper. The edge of the tire sits about 1" deep into the cut-out. I can open and close the tailgate with only a slight drag of the tire on the bumper. Can any of y'all see any problems with this??
I'm thinking maybe that with the tire resting on the bumper a little that it may actually give the heavier tire/wheel combo some extra support...am I missing something??

Mike
It may work while it's closed, but definitely not when its open.

Quick Reply: Any problem with this??