Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anybody running a 50inch light bar and a soft top?

Old 07-26-2016, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clos0791
Same in California. You need to use covers if you have lights above the bumper.
that's not true.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-26-2016, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Most lights are above the bumper from the factory on every vehicle.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, in most provinces the law is, any aux light above the HEADLIGHTS must be covered.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Have one on mine. I don't get any noise out of the top but the light was whistling like a mofo. Just add door edge guard trim to the fins and you're good. One thing I don't like about it was it added a fair amount of resistance and it has affected my gas mileage a mile or two per gallon. If I had to do it all over again I'd just add a 20" bar to the hood or maybe some side work lights. Still may take it off and do that eventually.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope no one. Not one single person.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LOLO9293
that's not true.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
I learned the hard way, got pulled for a fix-it ticket, so had to cover them or remove them. Many jeepers don't cover theirs, but light bars are popular now so police is on notice. If you haven't had problems, okay, but it is the law in Cal.

24411. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.

Last edited by clos0791; 07-28-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Stick with the classics. They work fine and still look good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2586252885.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	571.5 KB
ID:	653376  
Old 07-29-2016, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TacticalTankJKUR
I have a 50" light bar and pillar mounts place it just above my front windshield. I also run a spiderwebshade and while I get the occasional whistle from the light, it doesn't impact the soft top. I have the little rubber pieces wedged between the heat sink flanges.
Drove the tank to work today on the freeway and paid more attention to my soft-top... so it does flutter a little, but it is such a non-issue I didn't even notice until I deliberately looked for it on the freeway. The wind noise/resistance from the light is way more obtrusive and although I like my light bar, I would suggest that a smaller 20" on the front bumper or hood would have been sufficient. It's like daylight out when I turn it on, but it's like taking the aerodynamics of a brick and making it a two-story brick.

Having said all that, I would not bother to take my light off, I just would caution new Jeeper's that it may not be all they expected. PS - I don't and won't cover mine unless I get a fix-it ticket, and most po-po around me are busy with other stuff than to pick on Jeepers. I hope I didn't just jinx myself!
Old 07-29-2016, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

He decided against it on another forum but I guess didn't post here.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a single row 50". No whistle or noise - just flutter when soft top is on. Drives me nuts!!!!

I'd put a 10" on the bumper and maybe some light cannons on the pillars if I were to do it again.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a 50inch light bar and a soft top?