Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is anybody using a chip to modify your power and fuel economy

Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anybody using a chip to modify your power and fuel economy

I am pretty new to Jeeps, and I see alot of neat computers and chips to modify the HP and MPG for my Jeep. Some cost hundreds, some cost $20. Has anybody used any of them and did it make a difference? My 07 has a new engine and I am currently running about 21 mpg average and would love to and will improve it. I made all kinds of mods to my Honda CRv which got 30mpg in the city and close to 40 on the highway, I know the jeep cant do that, but Im betting I can get close to 25mpg. I have already replaced my air filter with a K&N, my tires are inflated properly and I do not have a lead foot. So, how about these computers and chips...anybody? I am asking for opinions and facts if you know about them.

thanks

Stephen
07 JK 4 dr unlimited X
Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 AM
JK Super Freak

25 mpg won't happen. Physics won't let it.

Intake exhaust may net you 1? A chip won't net you much. More HP = more fuel + air

Perhaps lowering your JK may help.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CerOf

Perhaps lowering your JK may help.
Doing that will make for an uncomfortable ride. Not because of the suspension but because you would be sitting on your penis because it would be required for you to tuck it between your legs for the rest of your life.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JStab

Doing that will make for an uncomfortable ride. Not because of the suspension but because you would be sitting on your penis because it would be required for you to tuck it between your legs for the rest of your life.
Hahaha! Might as well cut it off if you lower it.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CerOf

Hahaha! Might as well cut it off if you lower it.
That's an option
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeeps are bricks, get poor mileage and those chips are snake oil. I wouldn't waste the money. You can spend hundreds on a new intake and exhaust and net an extra couple mpg's but the best thing to do with a Jeep is to just drive sensibly, which you said you already do. Enjoy the slow lane and the fun of driving your Jeep. Drive the Honda if you want great mileage.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JStab

Too freakin funny!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You bought an SUV. If you are getting 21, you're well above average for any true SUV style vehicle. I get 14-18 with 35's and a lift. But hey, it's better than the 12-14 I got on my land rover.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm getting better mpg (~17) with 35's on my JKU than I did with nearly all of my former SUVs/trucks. I have no illusion of improving this number. If you are consistently getting the max advertised EPA mpg out of a vehicle like this then you should consider that a victory in and of itself. If you aren't happy with that number I would suggest taking full advantage of the high resale value because you won't be happy with it. The other option is take the top and doors off and only drive it downhill.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fotostephen
I am currently running about 21 mpg average and would love to and will improve it.

thanks

Stephen
07 JK 4 dr unlimited X
A 21 MPG average is pretty darn good for a JK. You would not care for my 13 MPG average on premium

Quick Reply: Is anybody using a chip to modify your power and fuel economy