Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone here have a JS Alternator??

Old 06-13-2021, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone here have a JS Alternator??

Bought an upgraded alternator from JS Alternators and went to install it today, but I noticed the pulley is a 6 rib while our system is a 5 rib. Just wanting to know if anyone else got one like that? For the price I would expect the pulley to be correct. Not sure if I even want to put it on

Old 06-13-2021, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

If this is not a stock alternator that you want to install for other reasons then I don't see an issue if you determine if the belt needs to use the inner or outer 5 grooves. You just have to do some measuring of your old alternator to determine which set of grooves you need to use. To me, if that alternator is a Jeep higher output upgrade the 6th groove is for extra amperage output load but it is obvious you cannot put a 6 groove belt on unless you change a bunch of other stuff.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
If this is not a stock alternator that you want to install for other reasons then I don't see an issue if you determine if the belt needs to use the inner or outer 5 grooves. You just have to do some measuring of your old alternator to determine which set of grooves you need to use. To me, if that alternator is a Jeep higher output upgrade the 6th groove is for extra amperage output load but it is obvious you cannot put a 6 groove belt on unless you change a bunch of other stuff.
for the price I shouldn’t be having to do any measuring. It was nearly $500. It should have the correct pulley. Their website shows a 5 rib for the one I got. When I look at their Facebook page I see 4 rib 5 rib 6 rib 8 rib etc etc so other people are obviously getting the correct pulleys for their vehicles. Just wanted to see if anyone else got one with the 6 rib pulley. I’m not gonna put it on, they can either send me the right one or they can shove it up their ass. I have almost $1,000 wrapped up into this and it’s all down the toilet over a pulley
Old 06-14-2021, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't you just put your pulley on that alternator?
Old 06-14-2021, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by akguy09
Can't you just put your pulley on that alternator?
Nope, high amp alternators use a smaller diameter pulley. Have to use a 1/2 inch shorter belt as well. But it should still be 5 ribs in my eyes

Last edited by donjuan79; 06-14-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

If they offer a 5-rib, and a 5-rib is specifically what you ordered, heck yes it should be replaced with no questions. If you randomly ordered one and there was no specification then it's much less clear.

**that said, it really doesn't matter what anyone else got, you need to be talking to the company directly.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

No it wasn’t just a random thing. They’re custom built when you order. Small company in the states. I ordered one on their site specifically for the 3.6 JK, they do 240 to 390, and a big 3 wiring kit. I got the 320 and the wires. But on the website it clearly shows a 5 rib pulley. I tried contacting them yesterday but didn’t get a response so I figured I’d check if anyone else had the same thing happen because I was already halfway through the install and didn’t want to stop if it was something normal. They got back to me today and said it’s fine, but idk, I’m on the fence. I asked if they would just send me the correct pulley and I’ll put it on myself but they never responded
Old 06-15-2021, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Update: They got back to me today and they’re going to send me a 5 rib
Old 06-15-2021, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

That's great news. I did respond back after you commented on my post earlier but don't know where it ended up. Did not realize your situation completely and real glad that homegrown product was backed up by the company. Hope it all works out great and sounds like you need some serious electrical capacity there.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:28 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by donjuan79
Nope, high amp alternators use a smaller diameter pulley. Have to use a 1/2 inch shorter belt as well. But it should still be 5 ribs in my eyes
the smaller pulley makes me wonder if there is a difference in the alternator at all, a smaller pulley makes it spin faster, making more electricity, just like a generator, the faster it goes the more juice comes out, if you put a smaller pulley on the factory alternator it would put out more at a set engine rpm than it did with the larger pulley at the same engine rpm

Quick Reply: Anyone here have a JS Alternator??