Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in PA running on 40s?

Old 02-01-2019, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Punisher40
I’m in the process of upgrading my 2014 jku with Dana ultimate 60s and 40” tires. Wheels will be eklipse 17x10 with 3.5 backspacing. Tires will be 40x13.5. PA limits bumper height, so I’m stuck with my 3.5” lift (which will gain an inch or so from the thicker d60 tubes). PA law requires the tires to be completely covered by the fenders.
If you're going to 40's, are you really concerned about daily driving it?
Old 02-01-2019, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. It’s one of my two daily drivers. That’s why I’m keeping it legal and safe.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

For anyone following, I ended up with these wheels from raceline https://www.customwheeloffset.com/bu...t-81-17x95-44? They are a steel wheel at a claimed 26 pounds, 17x9.5, 8x6.5 bolt pattern, 3.52 backspace.

i really wanted to use the b.a.d. Eklipse 17 DOT approved beadlocks, but I couldn’t contact them through their website (fraudulent website warning kept popping up when I used their contact feature), and after calling for nearly a week and leaving 4 or 5 messages that were never returned, there was just no way in hell I was going to give them a credit card payment of $2k through their website and hope the wheels somehow got to me.

i also found a place called Stockton wheel that can make a variety of steel wheels in custom widths and backspace, with just about any bolt pattern. Unlike b.a.d., they returned my email the next business day, which is always a good first step for a vendor. Wheel styles are somewhat limited, but they seem like a viable option for non-standard fitment.

​​​​​​​now if only I could find a solution for the fenders . . .
Old 02-06-2019, 07:24 PM
JK Newbie

I daily drive my jku with UD60’s and 40’s ,drives great and my brakes are awesome ,way better than the Rubi 44 axles I used to run with 37’s
-by the way I used my stock drag link ,trac bar and tie rod until I went with a new setup .I removed my factory Dana 44 axles and bolted these in ,bolted driveshafts in ,hooked up speed sensors,swapped brake lines and drove to shop the next day .Stock control arms with 2” coils . Now it’s all different but these are truly bolt in .

Last edited by Dzldust; 02-06-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I drive mine all over the place as well and would rather drive it than anything else I own on most days. I also only run half doors and a bikini top, so cold and rainy moves it down the list. Done right, there is no reason you can't run 40's up and down the highway. I've driven mine to EJS in Moab twice now, wheeled all over the place, and driven it home. I've also driven it to San Carlos, Mexico 3 times now, and with the roads down there, it's way more fun than my other options. I've got over 25K miles on my Toyo Open Country M/T's and they're at about 50% life currently.

The only downside to 40's is the hit in MPG, but I don't know of anybody who bought a JK for the fuel efficiency. I get 12 or so on the road with the mighty 3.8 V6, even better downhill.
The following users liked this post:
Hrdtyme (06-17-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dzldust

I daily drive my jku with UD60’s and 40’s ,drives great and my brakes are awesome ,way better than the Rubi 44 axles I used to run with 37’s
-by the way I used my stock drag link ,trac bar and tie rod until I went with a new setup .I removed my factory Dana 44 axles and bolted these in ,bolted driveshafts in ,hooked up speed sensors,swapped brake lines and drove to shop the next day .Stock control arms with 2” coils . Now it’s all different but these are truly bolt in .

what backspace are you running? The wheels don’t seem much further out than my current 35s, which are about a half inch past the stock fenders.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jordy

The only downside to 40's is the hit in MPG, but I don't know of anybody who bought a JK for the fuel efficiency. I get 12 or so on the road with the mighty 3.8 V6, even better downhill.
I can assure you, speed and mpg were not at the top of my list when I bought the least aerodynamic passenger car on the road (except maybe the G Wagen). I’m perfectly ok inducing looks of horror from the Prius crowd as they wonder weather my gas guzzling beast could roll right over their precious hybrid. I also have a manual, which helps a little. I can choose to prioritize economy or power, depending on my mood.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Punisher40

I can assure you, speed and mpg were not at the top of my list when I bought the least aerodynamic passenger car on the road (except maybe the G Wagen). I’m perfectly ok inducing looks of horror from the Prius crowd as they wonder weather my gas guzzling beast could roll right over their precious hybrid. I also have a manual, which helps a little. I can choose to prioritize economy or power, depending on my mood.
I've never considered MPG when buying anything. Speed? That might have played a role a time or two.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Did you guys upgrade the steering box? I’m going to run the stock one until it breaks, because I’m already over budget on this project, but I will be upgrading. Looking at the redhead box. Also looking at hydro assist. Want to know what those on 40s did and how you like it.

p.s. The d60s are on and look amazing. Brakes are huge, tubes are huge, diff cover looks bullet proof. You can see the metalcloak arms too.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I"m running the PSC assist and have had zero issues. It's got the cooler, which pairs with a transmission cooler which helps when playing hard off pavement and in the rocks.

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/sk266...onversion.html

https://www.pscmotorsports.com/jeep-...al-cooler.html

Quick Reply: Anyone in PA running on 40s?