Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running Old Man Emu light springs and E load range tires?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone running Old Man Emu light springs and E load range tires?

I am looking for some feedback from you old man emu owners. Any of you guys running the OME "light" coil springs and tires that have an E load range? If so, how is your ride compared to stock? softer, rougher?

Anyone running an E load range tire and still have a ride as soft as stock? I know you guys with coilovers have a plush ride.... but that isn't in my budget. Current setup is Teraflex 3" with OME long travel shocks. Tires are Nitto Mudgrapplers 35x12.50R18. 26-28PSI.

I drove a stock JK the other day and it rode so soft, and that is what I am looking for. Am I going to have to go to a load C tire to improve ride, or will lighter springs get me where I want to be? BTW The tera springs are not that stiff, I just have a really really light Jeep right now. (no winch, no steel rear bumper/swingaway, no spare, and its a 2 door) This kit is made to lift a fully loaded unlimited a full 3" I think I got 5" on my jeep from it!

Help me out you cadillac riding jeep guys... I know you are out there!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:18 AM
JK Jedi

Are you running the OME HD springs?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:19 AM
JK Jedi

Have you thought about switching from gas charged to hydro shocks?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the OME HD springs for a year or so and the HD springs were smoother than stock. IMO. I now have FT 4" springs and they are a little stiffer, but I am also running the OME LT shocks and it evens it out nicely. The light springs may give you too much sway and bounce.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:38 AM
JK Jedi

I had some superlift hydros on it... I don't think the shocks are causing a poor ride at all. But I dunno.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:39 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Robar
I ran the OME HD springs for a year or so and the HD springs were smoother than stock. IMO. I now have FT 4" springs and they are a little stiffer, but I am also running the OME LT shocks and it evens it out nicely. The light springs may give you too much sway and bounce.
I am willing to sacrifice some high speed cornering for some squishy ride. Did the OME HD springs ride softer than the stock springs in your opinion? Why the change from them to the FT 4"?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I am willing to sacrifice some high speed cornering for some squishy ride. Did the OME HD springs ride softer than the stock springs in your opinion? Why the change from them to the FT 4"?
Yes, the HD springs rode noticeably softer than stock. I went to the FT 4" springs to gain an extra inch or so. I now have about 4.5" in front and about 5" of lift in the rear.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi

right now I only have a steel front bumper, no winch, no steel rear bumper, no swing away, no spare, no rack... It is a light Jeep. I was thinking I would run the OME light springs until I got some of those things... then put the TF 3" ones back on.

The reason I made this thread is because I noticed people running E load with coilivers and saying it rode smooth and soft. ORE uses them a lot they say and it doesn't ruin the ride... So I was just wondering if it was possible to smooth out the ride with some softer springs. Unfortunatly there are no C range tires for 18" wheels... So I will have to buy wheels and tires.... again.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:13 AM
JK Junkie

I'm not a proponent of C load range tires like planman despite him and I agreeing on most other things. With Load range E tires you get better sidewall protection, deeper tread depth (in most cases) and less sidewall sway. The ride is definitely firmer than load range C tires, but the majority of your ride comfort should come from your shocks.

BigBlueJK, I see that you're running twin tube shocks. The valving on twin tubes generally allow a comfort zone and with extension or compression move into a stiffer control zone. If your shocks are too long or too short you could be riding on the stiffer control zone portion. Also if they are hydraulic shocks they can be mounted upside down which will adversely effect ride quality.

Quick Reply: Anyone running Old Man Emu light springs and E load range tires?