Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB diff cover issue

Old 02-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcnaught6
the problem is that D44's and 30's come on LOTS of different vehicles, not just JK's. the covers aren't sold as JK covers, they are sold for the axle.
it would be impossible to make sure they fit every axle on every stock application, let alone all the different modified suspensions too
Of course, I'm not expecting them to check every configuration on every different vehicle nor am I asking them to guarantee it. But, when you look at the whole and see that there are certain vehicles that are off-road more than others and obviously the Jeep JK is one of them.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tgrt
It amazes at me at what people accept as a matter of course. My previous message clearly indicates common configurations not everything under the sun as you exclaim. The JK is not just some little player in the market and if companies want that piece of the pie then they should most certainly do some due diligence in testing their products. However, I guess they don't have to, because not enough people hold them to that level of quality -- based on the responses to my original response.
Actually, based on all the vehicles available today with Dana 30's and Dana 44's, the JK IS a little player in the market. Also, I would still have to argue that depending on the aftermarket suspension components used and the settings that the installer set them to, there could be a huge difference as to whether or not the track bar would hit the diff covers. Should companies be responsible for people who haven't installed their lift kits properly? Should they be responsible for a suspension design that makes a track bar with tollerances so tight that their track bar barely clears the factory diff cover on a JK? Because, I have seen this be the case and anything more than a factory cover would hit.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True but....

Of course, I'm not expecting them to check every configuration on every different vehicle nor am I asking them to guarantee it. But, when you look at the whole and see that there are certain vehicles that are off-road more than others and obviously the Jeep JK is one of them.
True but the JK is 2 years old. Most vehicles running Dana Axles are 3-30 years old and have no issues with clearance once various adaptations are made. That said, should they modify their highly regarded product just for a specific vehicle???? It just does not make sense to do that.

Thus, we have to make little tweaks here and there to make it work, just like a lot of other vehicles do....
Old 02-12-2008, 11:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

But this is far from true. Perhaps in about 5 years things will be different but with over 800,000 TJ's, 1,000,000 XJ's and even more CJ's having been built over the years (this is to say nothing about Ford's, Chevy's, etc.), the JK is but a newbie in the marketplace.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Quick question, was thinking about ordering these ARB Diff covers today and now I don't know If i'll have a problem, I have a FT 3" Econo lift with the Ajust. Front Track bar. And I don't have Ajust. Control Arms to correct the axle. Anyone have a guess on if the stock axle position running with the FT Ajust. Front track bar will run into a problem? lol
Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by JKTyrant
Quick question, was thinking about ordering these ARB Diff covers today and now I don't know If i'll have a problem, I have a FT 3" Econo lift with the Ajust. Front Track bar. And I don't have Ajust. Control Arms to correct the axle. Anyone have a guess on if the stock axle position running with the FT Ajust. Front track bar will run into a problem? lol
Honestly, I don't know for sure but I would think you would be okay especially since your axle will have moved back. In Trail Bud's situation, he has an Ultimate lift and it's possible that he just has his lower control arms set a bit too long.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Honestly, I don't know for sure but I would think you would be okay especially since your axle will have moved back. In Trail Bud's situation, he has an Ultimate lift and it's possible that he just has his lower control arms set a bit too long.
Alrighty, well guess the only way to find out is to order them. Thanks for the honest opinion
Old 02-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CSchaible
True but the JK is 2 years old. Most vehicles running Dana Axles are 3-30 years old and have no issues with clearance once various adaptations are made. That said, should they modify their highly regarded product just for a specific vehicle???? It just does not make sense to do that.

Thus, we have to make little tweaks here and there to make it work, just like a lot of other vehicles do....
Or they could make a model specific version. For the price of the cover, we're not talking about a cheap cover, they could certainly do that. Or as I mentioned earlier provide information to their customers about possible issues.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wayoflife
But this is far from true. Perhaps in about 5 years things will be different but with over 800,000 TJ's, 1,000,000 XJ's and even more CJ's having been built over the years (this is to say nothing about Ford's, Chevy's, etc.), the JK is but a newbie in the marketplace.
You don't need to address older vehicles, because they've already been addressed. The playing field for new off-road vehices is much smaller.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Its a mod.

People do mods sometiimes with the impression that they should work independantly, no matter what else they did or did not do to their trucks.

In the picture of the diff - it has a giant honkin protrusion that should be pretty obviously going to be about where it ends up being. If you don't notice that that's where your track bar is, because you didn't move it...well, you didn't do your homework.

Same with ordering shocks, etc...just because they can physically mount to your rig, does not mean that they will be valved correctly, or not hit something on flex, or overextend and break, or overcompress, etc....you, as the modifier, need to know what will work...and if the shock is not going to get short enough to avoid over compression...its your job to decide if you should do OTHER modifications to make them work. If all you do is take other's words for things...YOU never know.

Now, if the mod MAKER says in the ad "Requires no other mods to work, stock to monster truck, its perfect as is, ..." or whatever...then maybe you have a legit beef.

But look at people selling throttle body spacers to people with sequential multiport fool injection engines, making claims about mpg and torque/HP, etc....if you modify your engine with one, but do not really know why it can't work, well, they make a sale.....but, in essence, they lied to you....or at a minimum, mislead you into thinking they had a product that would help you, etc.

So caveat emptor.....

That's why I pretty much never buy kits....just pick and choose parts that I think will do a job I need done, w/o causing other problems.

I have freinds who do what I call "Wish Book Engineering"....

They look at the purdy pics in the catelogues/ads, etc...and see, this improves mpg 10%!, and THIS one improves mpg 50%!...ooohh..look, THIS one improves mpg 25%!.....lets see, I get 15 mpg now, if I add these mods, thats 85% better mpg!...I'm gonna get this stuff, bolt it on, and go from 15 mpg to 28 mpg...wowee what a great deal.

Or, they look at a spacer lift kit that says if you add it, you get a 2" boost in height, but don't have to get expensive drivetrain mods, like new longer shafts, or new control arms, or track bars, etc.

And they ALSO see a 3" SL that says about the same thing....well, NEITHER says you need anything extra...so we'll just use them BOTH to get a 5" lift that doesn't require those expensive mods!

And so forth.

So ARB makes a thicker diff cover, which we buy BECAUSE its a thicker diff cover.

We KNOW our bars go right next to the stock diff cover.

Lets drive over to ARB and say they should have warned us that their thicker diff cover was thicker!

On the way, stop at Mikey Dee's, and get a nice hot cup of steaming hot coffee!

I wonder if anyone ever sued Mickey Dee's for shrinkage/resultant traffic accident, if they spilled an ICED coffe on their lap?

I was on a plane, they gave me a bag of peanuts. It had a warning on it, it said "Warning, May Contain Peanuts".

I Know that this is America and all, but, for the love of Pete, can we just take some responsibity for our own actions sometimes?

And who the hell is this Pete we're supposed to do things for the love of anyway?

Does he work for ARB?

We can splash an Iced Latte on his crotch, and call it even.

Last edited by TEEJ; 02-12-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: ARB diff cover issue