Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB w/ D30 Issue...

Old 02-27-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB w/ D30 Issue...

Sorry if this has been posted but I tried to search and could not find it....In short I have an 07 JK 4door Sahara and had 5.13's and ARB's installed last year ....since that time I have had issues with diff fluid coming back through the air lines leaking through the compressor connection...

I had a reputable dealer (JC Fab and Design) install the gears / arb in Cali and then moved to AZ...since in AZ and trying troubleshoot it I have had a reputable dealer (Desert Rat) with the help of ARB continue (4 visits) to try to troubleshoot it...culminating with a locker being swapped out for a new one...still the same issue.

I have two breather lines installed (at lower points then the airline) but still have fluid coming up the air lines and then leaking out...it is not a huge amount but a couple good drops every couple days and the real problem is where the compressor connection is right above the manifold so the dam jeeps stinks all the time like burnt diff fluid and the smell can come in when air is on and not on recycle (air from outside)...

I have been dealing with folks who I felt were qualified...and the dealer and arb tell me that you will get some leakage due to build up from the combo of the 5.13/ARBs in a small D30.....if that were the case why not leakage out of the breather tubes and not back up the airlines?......I had an ARB 4.88 Combon in a D30 TJ and never had leakage.....any how, Desert Rat has been helpful regardless if it has not been solved...they have went above and beyond with the new installation of the locker

To get rid of the smell I am thinking of pulling the ARB until I can get a D44 or better....just thought I would throw it out to see if anyone else had the issues with this combo....it is definitely bummed me out that so many could not fix it.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have the Seals been changed in the locker?

This is really pretty rare and should not happen.

David

Last edited by Northridge4x4; 02-27-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no problems with ARB/ 5.13's and a dana 30 that is not the problem.

Three causes to this problem.

1: Improper preload
2. Clogged vent tube
3. Bad orings

I spoke to ARB tech support and they would like you to call them on monday and ask for Niles.

Hope this helps.

David
Old 02-27-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

cant beat that, didnt5 even have to search for the answer. another reason why david is the best
Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
There is no problems with ARB/ 5.13's and a dana 30 that is not the problem.

Three causes to this problem.

1: Improper preload
2. Clogged vent tube
3. Bad orings

I spoke to ARB tech support and they would like you to call them on monday and ask for Niles.

Hope this helps.

David
Thanks David....I have always had great service with you guys at Northridge...

I will call Niles on Monday....it is good to hear there is a possibly fix as I am not getting the best answers to date...
Old 02-27-2009, 11:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my D30 and 44 with ARB i had no problems at all. The ARB lockers are pretty strong and well built. Definately there is something went wrong during install.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Zak
When I had my D30 and 44 with ARB i had no problems at all. The ARB lockers are pretty strong and well built. Definately there is something went wrong during install.
I would tend to believe that but this thing was installed twice by two different reputable dealers and have used two different ARB lockers who have done a number of ARB gear installations, one which I had do my prior TJ with 30/ARBs so I am skeptical that it is just a simple install issue... This Jeep has been to the shop no less then 5 times trying to troubleshoot the issue.

Last edited by mbrown2; 02-28-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

I spoke with Nils this morning at ARB...we walked through the issues and he mentioned the possibility of issues with the SHIM set and that that O-Ring might be too close to the journal. Basically, he would like to have a picture taken with the diff open so they can review the spacing....basically leaning towards and installation issue.

I have scheduled to take the jeep back to Desert Rat to pull it apart send the pics so we can see what might be the installation issue. I appreciate the time ARB spent explaining the issue and if they can solve it with the installer remotely I will be extremely happy, but I am a little skeptical that I was led to believe prior that ARB and Desert Rat had discussed this issue in depth before the return of the original lcoker/replacement of a new one and new install...I am hopeful but with doubt...really just want the problem solved.

Appreciate everyone's feedback...
Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Ok...so its been 3 weeks since taking it back to desert rat and I am still crossing my fingers...no leak of the diff fluid up through the air tube and through the solenoid yet... I have put over 600 miles on it of all speeds and by now, from past experiences, it would have leaked already.

Desert Rat and ARB spent the good part of 1.5 days with it wripped apart, taking pics, exchaging info, and resetting the install.

I was not hopeful and to be quite honest still have doubt...but I am very happy with the effort on the partnering of ARB and Desert Rat trying to take care of this. I appreciate Dave's help on reaching out to ARB...thnx again.

Fingers still crossed

Quick Reply: ARB w/ D30 Issue...