JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   ATTENTION - Chrysler WILL VOID Your Warranty if You Lift Your Jeep (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/attention-chrysler-will-void-your-warranty-if-you-lift-your-jeep-132752/)

JK-Tex 06-10-2010 08:20 AM

Every time I walk into a dealer service department I feel my sphincter tightening up. They want to treat you like a "consumer" rather than a "customer." Robert Pirsig talks a lot about this in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and Matthew Crawford echoes it in Shop Class as Soulcraft. Many mechanics these days want to do the minimum possible while charging the maximum price. They don't really have an understanding for how the vehicle works--they just learn a set of repeatable behaviors and/or do all their diagnostics from books and computers.

The vehicle is a consumable item (like a toaster) and the owner is just another consumer. The entire process is oversimplified and commodified and any personal attention and human interaction is drained away. That's why you have to deal with the "service adviser" rather than the guy who's actually turning the wrench. And even if you could talk to that guy, the odds are 50/50 that he really understands what he's doing. They want to strip decisionmaking from the individual mechanic and instead implement a series of standardized protocols for diagnosing and handling problems.

Given that true knowledge is hard to find at any dealership, it should come as no surprise that they try to void warranties on every part of the Jeep just because you lifted it. They aren't running through a mental diagram of the Jeep in their mind and really trying to understand what caused the failure--they just see the Red Flag of Death pop up on their computer screen and ASSUME that lifts cause failures that they do not.

Welcome to the future.

This is how Chrysler wants you to feel: http://www.theonion.com/video/prague...lds-mos,14321/

derby911 06-10-2010 09:03 AM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention I will not be flaming My dealer on any surveys for my Jeep. That really sucks:thumbsup:

Littlejon 06-10-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by DegoRed (Post 1726053)
Your are trying to make the case that the two entities are mutually exclusive, whereas they are really one in the same, which WoL clearly demonstrated. How naive can you be to make such a statement. Chrysler clearly has a policy in place which they have tasked each of their dealerships with the responsibility of enforcing, to flag any vehicle which has been modified in any way to relieve Chrysler of honoring warranty claims.

Chrysler can only go on what the dealership says. I know that my Jeep is modified, but I have not been flagged in the system in any way shape or form. If you are loyal to a dealership, and keep them busy then they will usually take care of you. If you make them mad with a poor review (which you would assume would be kept confidential, however 90% of them are done by the dealership not Chrysler) then they will oftentimes try to find ways to get back at you. This is obviously what happened in this case.

To say that its solely the mean old dealerships fault, and Chrysler is just an innocent victim in this is just wrong. Chrysler set the policy that the dealerships must follow, guaranteed that this language is inside each dealerships franchise agreements. Some dealerships choose to use common sense on this policy and other dealerships do not. It is very clear that Chrysler is very serious about this policy, and wants no part in removing the "Scarlet Letter" off the vehicle.
Chrysler can write any policy they want, but ultimately it is up to the dealerships to enforce. Oftentimes these dealerships pick and choose what policies they want to follow. I am not saying that the polcies of Chrysler are fantastic, but at the same time there are some dealerships that are mod friendly, and others that aren't. If you go to one that isn't mod friendly on a bad day they can dink you.

I would argue that it is similar to a speeding ticket. You can speed past the same spot for a month straight, and have a cop see you. On a good day he won't even bat an eye, on an average day maybe give you a warning, and on a bad day give you a ticket. There is a speed limit, and technically he could enforce it on everyone, but oftentimes things are overlooked. The dealerships are trying to do whatever they can to keep customers happy and sometimes this means overlooking policies.

Pape 06-10-2010 09:28 AM

WE learned some interesting thing about warranty system at Chrysler.
We also know that Chrysler is aware of us and the tribune of this site.

The question that I have right now is:

WOL was supposed to receive a paper about is warranty being voided by the dealer, from my understanding He did not receive it. Question when you void / flag a warranty there must be a void date attach to this action in the system is the date when WOL bring the jeep in, our later when the complaint got in ? This will answer normal policy or retaliation for the bad review.

My advice is let the dust settle (online). From the descriptions and my understanding of your discussion with Nate he is ready to help you and the Jeep community but cannot because of the "public status of the issue at the moment" (this can be interpreted by Chrysler for a form of bullying).

Get in touch with him when the dust settle maybe when you buy a new Jeep give him a call I'm pretty sure he will be more then happy to help you get something nice and maybe propose you something for the Jeep community as now he is aware of your statue and tribune.

skibum 06-10-2010 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by JK-Tex (Post 1725866)
....Compare this to Mazda, who encourages customers to autocross their Miatas and warrants the cars for such use. Mazda has a hugely loyal following in the weekend/backyard racer crowd because they SUPPORT the community they claim to love.

Jeep, meanwhile, shows up at EJS with a bunch of tricked out Jeeps, but will completely **** you under the table if you dare to follow their lead. :naw:

Should Jeep have to warrant failures caused by lift kits? No. But they should be scrupulous about their interactions with the customer in this regard and should fully honor ALL OTHER warranty repairs. This will be my last Chrysler product.

Finally.........somebody who gets it. BTW, my current Jeep will also be my last Chrysler product, and like someone said previously, I'll tell everybody I know about my poor experience. :yup:

skibum 06-10-2010 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by jnorton1 (Post 1725912)
Unfortunate ya, but all you guys saying oh this is my last Jeep/Chrysler product are blind. If you think for a second their isn't a story like this with every single automaker your crazy. I just read an article about a Mazda that was denied warranty because the engineer inspecting the car found speeding tickets in the glove box. These stories are all over the net. A quick search shows all kinds of warranty problems with all makes and models, that are typically modified. The grass isn't always greener. Ill be sticking with Jeep.

Say what you want, but I change vehicles like most people change underwear, and I've never seen anything like the piss poor customer service provided by Chrysler. they've taken it to an all time new low. :naw:

skibum 06-10-2010 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Littlejon (Post 1725917)
I would say that this thread title is a bit misleading. Chrysler didn't void the warranty, but a dealership did. Also they didn't void the warranty because of the lift, but because you had a disagreement with them, and they wanted to get back at you. It sounds like Chrysler themselves have been very helpful, and diligent in doing what they can to remedy the situation.

Are you fucking kidding? Chrysler decides what the provisions of the warranty are and just how it will be administered. What's his name at Chrysler saying there is nothing he can do is disingenuous bullshit. What he should have said is that "We have your money and there's nothing I will do."

wayoflife 06-10-2010 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Littlejon (Post 1726219)
Chrysler can only go on what the dealership says. I know that my Jeep is modified, but I have not been flagged in the system in any way shape or form. If you are loyal to a dealership, and keep them busy then they will usually take care of you.

and, according to chrysler, your dealership is violating their policy. if they find out, they will be up for review. perhaps you could tell me who your dealership is so that i can tell my new contacts at chrysler and see how long your jeep remains unflagged.

If you make them mad with a poor review (which you would assume would be kept confidential, however 90% of them are done by the dealership not Chrysler) then they will oftentimes try to find ways to get back at you. This is obviously what happened in this case.
90%??? you'll forgive me but the only thing that is obvious is that you are clearly making up things as you go and have no merit or credibilty in what you are saying. a dealership cannot go around claiming to be a CHRYSLER customer representative asking for a review. :naw:

Chrysler can write any policy they want, but ultimately it is up to the dealerships to enforce. Oftentimes these dealerships pick and choose what policies they want to follow. I am not saying that the polcies of Chrysler are fantastic, but at the same time there are some dealerships that are mod friendly, and others that aren't. If you go to one that isn't mod friendly on a bad day they can dink you.

I would argue that it is similar to a speeding ticket. You can speed past the same spot for a month straight, and have a cop see you. On a good day he won't even bat an eye, on an average day maybe give you a warning, and on a bad day give you a ticket. There is a speed limit, and technically he could enforce it on everyone, but oftentimes things are overlooked. The dealerships are trying to do whatever they can to keep customers happy and sometimes this means overlooking policies.
good god, you're actually trying to compare a PERMANENT MARK against a warranty to a speeding ticket - you my friend are simply unbelievable. :naw:

DJSJK50 06-10-2010 10:23 AM

This is sad, and has the potential of getting more sad. For example, some say we need to take this to CNN. One side of me agrees. But the other side is what WOL had said the policy is, which is to flag every modded jeep. So, while going to CNN will bring out the secret policy, Chrysler can just issue a memo to have every dealer enforce the policy, thus removing mod friendly dealers. So, would we have gotten anywhere?

I have to fight for my warranty because I am a second party owner, I got my jeep used at 1,200 miles. And that was before the mod. I did not filled out the survey, and now, I am glad I did not. But, I did not know at the time that was a good thing, however.

I don't know what the real answer is here. To create a black list of mod un-friendly dealers, will that help or hurt? Somewhat like the CNN thing. I am glad WOL did tell us his story.

It should really not be a debate about what is right or wrong situation, but what will really help this situation. If you look at my sig, I now have the possibility of getting the scarlet letter. I have a bad back and have to relay on others doing the work for me, paid or otherwise. But now, I have the possibility of not getting warranty work done. As WOL stated, it is not really him, or others like him that are really, really hurt here. Most people can do the work on their jeeps and bypass this hassle. People like me don't, weather it is a physical thing, or just not knowing how to work on a jeep.

So, what is the real solution here? I mean, this site is great, I have learned a lot and know what to get and how to get it. But, I am not the only one that can not bypass Chrysler until my warranty runs out, and I (we) should not have to bypass Chrysler here. And maybe there is no real answer, other than knowing this occurs. Maybe, instead of a black list, and white list of mod-friendly dealers. Then at least they will get more biz, and will continue to be mod-friendly dealers. At least this is a positive spin an not a negative spin. Dealers talk, so one might ask how do you get more biz than me and we are in the same town. That might be a better solution. I don't know.

CAOKKIE 06-10-2010 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by DJSJK50 (Post 1726316)
This is sad, and has the potential of getting more sad. For example, some say we need to take this to CNN. One side of me agrees. But the other side is what WOL had said the policy is, which is to flag every modded jeep. So, while going to CNN will bring out the secret policy, Chrysler can just issue a memo to have every dealer enforce the policy, thus removing mod friendly dealers. So, would we have gotten anywhere?

I have to fight for my warranty because I am a second party owner, I got my jeep used at 1,200 miles. And that was before the mod. I did not filled out the survey, and now, I am glad I did not. But, I did not know at the time that was a good thing, however.

I don't know what the real answer is here. To create a black list of mod un-friendly dealers, will that help or hurt? Somewhat like the CNN thing. I am glad WOL did tell us his story.

It should really not be a debate about what is right or wrong situation, but what will really help this situation. If you look at my sig, I now have the possibility of getting the scarlet letter. I have a bad back and have to relay on others doing the work for me, paid or otherwise. But now, I have the possibility of not getting warranty work done. As WOL stated, it is not really him, or others like him that are really, really hurt here. Most people can do the work on their jeeps and bypass this hassle. People like me don't, weather it is a physical thing, or just not knowing how to work on a jeep.

So, what is the real solution here? I mean, this site is great, I have learned a lot and know what to get and how to get it. But, I am not the only one that can not bypass Chrysler until my warranty runs out, and I (we) should not have to bypass Chrysler here. And maybe there is no real answer, other than knowing this occurs. Maybe, instead of a black list, and white list of mod-friendly dealers. Then at least they will get more biz, and will continue to be mod-friendly dealers. At least this is a positive spin an not a negative spin. Dealers talk, so one might ask how do you get more biz than me and we are in the same town. That might be a better solution. I don't know.

I think the answer is in your last few words. In the end it all boils down about money. Here is a copy of my earlier post.

United we do have the power.
In the end the only way to solve the problem is to hit the bad dealer’s right where it hurts the most that is right in the pocket book.
Believe it or not we do hold the power to change things if we pose a united front, because we control the purse strings.
JK-Forum should compile a list of the friendly dealers and a list of the dealers that should be boycotted at all costs and see that they don’t get one red cent of our hard earned money. Rate the dealers just like you would hotels. A 4 star dealer gets the business and a 1 star gets the shaft.