Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Avenger Supercharger TTest Drive impressions

Old 11-24-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Avenger Supercharger TTest Drive impressions

I was in Colorado Springs today. I stopped by Avenger superchargers in my old stomping grounds on Austin Bluffs. I went in and talked with owner, Jack Schuler. We started talking about the JK and I told him I was there to find out what was taking so long with the Supercharger kit.

He told me, "My Jeep is seeing 12 mpg and the other two that we installed on some of the sponsored Jeeps are running 16 mpg consistently. I am not sure of my personal tuning issues and I dont want to release the kit until I figure out the fuel mapping issues."

I told him that if that is all you should go ahead and release the kit. Windows releases its version of an operating system and then follows it up with updates. Why not do the same with your kit. He liked the idea...

The difference with this kit and the rest on the market is that avenger uses a twin screw type blower like hot rods use sticking out of the hood. In fact this one sticks out of the hood as well. It comes with the scoop to allow the hood to accept the new power adder. The scoop is not so tall that it inhibits line of sight while driving. Very well put together kit.

It comes with:
Supercharger
Pulley
Fuel mapping and piggyback ECU
K&N intake (complete replacement)
Hood scoop, Very nice unit
air to water intercooling
and much more

Under the hood it looks awesome! The jeep is running 5.13 gears 37 inch tires and an automatic. It accelerated very smoothly and the hesitation that is in the lower RPM's is gone. I think this kit would be even more fun with the 4.46:1 gearing of the manual transmissions first gear. The auto has a 2.84:1 first gear which took the seat of the pants dyno fun out of it.

His Jeep made 280 horsepower at the wheels but he doesnt have a PR guy for the internet so its very limited as to the info available for the kits, dynos, etc.

Jack release the kit, I think this type of supercharger is the way to go on our 3.8 liter Jeeps. It makes instant power without the hesitation some have felt with the centrifical SC on this site. I wish I could get a hold of a centrifical supercharged Jeep to compare but over all the kit makes good power but a V8 for me is the only way to go. So where can I get 18,000 dollars for a conversion? For 5 grand this kit is definately the way to go as of the time of this post.

Pictures are on avengers website (google it) its the red Jeep with the graphics. What a fun day. Hope I get to drive one of these in a manual someday.

This is not a plug for Avenger and this is based soley on my having family in colorado on the holidays. I am not endorsing them I just wanted to give an impression of what they are doing over there as there website doesnt have crap on it.

Last edited by JulietKilo; 11-24-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks so much!

looking at one for myself,but dont want to have to regear also????
373s and 35s with auto

Thanks for info!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by miket@teterop.com
looking at one for myself,but dont want to have to regear also????
373s and 35s with auto

Thanks for info!
I think with the auto and that low of a gear in the axle you are going to want 5.13's someday. Even with a supercharger or more power the engine is working harder in that high of a gear.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
I told him that if that is all you should go ahead and release the kit. Windows releases its version of an operating system and then follows it up with updates. Why not do the same with your kit. He liked the idea...
Not sure I agree with you there... MS Windows bugs are a lot different than potential engine problems!

Either way, cool looking supercharger I wish I lived close enough to see stuff like that first-hand.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Junkie

I was wonding when somebody was going to put on a roots type blower. I dislike centrafugals because of the boost lag.

I would be more than willing to be a guinea pig for him though
Old 11-25-2008, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

A twin screw for the JK!!! sounds awesome.....A roots type blower does have instand power (specifically a twinscrew)...I can verify this, as I have it on my Cobra's.....As long a the tune is correct it will not damage the motor....you do not want the motor going lean....If i had this kit, I would only get it tuned on the dyno, as mail order tunes are generic, and it is proven that all engines do not fire the same. I would think that injectors, plugs, MAF, would need to be upgraded. All this depends on how much boost of course. I am not sure what our fuel pumps are rated for, a boostapump or highflow pump may need to be added as well.

I have seen a few engines denonate and blow from mail order tunes. I cannot stress enough about tuning when it comes to power adders. IMO I would not release the kit until the company has perfected it.

IMO centrafugals are not that good, and only good for race applications as they usually take a while to make power.

Roots blower

Last edited by 07rubisteve; 11-25-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Jack can do a custom tune and any shop can because his piggy back unit uses an edge products or unichip tuner. I cant remember which one.

Last edited by JulietKilo; 11-25-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

I am not trying to cut down the centri blowers, I have driven them in a few high performance cars and 1 p/u, and they are awesome, but the power band is totally different. The higher RPM the more power you make, which is not really what our jeeps require, unless you are a bogger and already have your rpms up, whereas the roots gets instant power at low rpm, and carries it to redline.

I am sure the Hesco or Ripp superchargers work well, both kits look complete, but if a roots type blower is available, that would be my choice. The power is instant in roots blowers, no lag at all.

We could talk about pro's and con's all day about both power adders, but IMO the roots would be more suitable for our JK's application.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by thundercat90096
Very true, BUT our 2 speed compressor has a gear driven transmission on it to over speed the compressor on the lower rpms which matches or exceeds a roots style output. As the rpms rise its shifts out and you never feel the change. A big bonus is you don't have to cut a hole in your hood or relocate half the components in your jeep to fit the kit, about 3 hours and you tearing down the road.
The standard 1 speed compressor is no slouch, it produces boost at a lower rpm without any lag and is perfect for the street. Most wheeling is done in low range light throttle anyway, the biggest benefit I see while wheeling is the inter cooler really helps keep the air intake charge down and it improves fuel mileage and lowers emissions while on the highway.
Well, I would have to try one in order to convince me to go with one. On the other hand, I am not a fan of cutting a hole in the hood either. I wonder if the AEV hood would clear the roots. It would be ideal to compare both applications (roots Vs. centri) on the JK, but that is far fetched. I will just wait to see the roots finished product before I would consider either one
Old 11-26-2008, 01:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Contat Avenger here in Colorado and tell him to get on this board and become a sponsor. Also tell him to get that thing on the market.

Quick Reply: Avenger Supercharger TTest Drive impressions