Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which Axle Assembly

Old 11-25-2019, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cranbiz
I run a G2 Core 44. For the price, it's a heck of an axle. Beefier than an ultimate 44 and less than a Prorock or a RockJock. They do frequently go on sale and you can do a completely custom axle.

If you are going to wheel it moderately hard, don't waste your money building a Dana 30. You can dio a decent job with a Rubi Dana 44 but it's still weaker than most of the aftermarket axles.
I’ve been looking at them hadn’t seen much on how the compare to the other options available. So thanks for the insight.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

WMS=wheel mounting surface or size
Old 11-25-2019, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would offer up this, because your current setup to what you want sounds very nearly exactly like me. I have a '13 Sahara that I bought new, I've ran 33s on a 2.5 inch lift for the first 4 years and for the last 2 years I've been running 35s on the same lift, same stock D30 and upgraded to 4.56 gears when I went 35s. I weekend warrior about every other weekend, sometimes mild to moderate trails, sometimes harder trails, MOAB, JJ USA events, etc. I haven't had any issues yet. Personally, I'd save your money up, run the D30 until you have issues, then get a D44 or Dynatrac...that's my plan and that's my 2 cents.

I should've read further first and just said I completely agree with DirtMan above.

Last edited by swizzle; 11-25-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I'll share my current plan, not sure it's the best plan but so far it seems like the best plan for me and my uses. I'm avoiding re-gearing my front Dana 30, and also not re-inforcing it or adding any traction devices. I'm just going to temp fate. I'm going to wheel it how it is until it breaks or until I have some spare cash to invest in an Ultimate Dana 44. The UD44 is not the best aftermarket D44 axle out there, but for me it hits my sweet spot on price vs. performance and feel it should be plenty strong for my 35s and the mild off-roading I do. When I make that purchase, I'll have it built with the gears and traction device I want and then re-gear and add a traction device to the rear Dana 44.

Ultimate Dana 44
https://www.quadratec.com/products/5...QaAvHNEALw_wcB

The Dirtman has 40s on his rig where a Dana 60 makes sense there.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cranbiz
I run a G2 Core 44. For the price, it's a heck of an axle. Beefier than an ultimate 44 and less than a Prorock or a RockJock. They do frequently go on sale and you can do a completely custom axle.

If you are going to wheel it moderately hard, don't waste your money building a Dana 30. You can dio a decent job with a Rubi Dana 44 but it's still weaker than most of the aftermarket axles.
Interesting. I haven't seen that option yet. Can you mount up stock brakes to it?

I have my Mopar BBK that I would like to transfer over to it.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Interesting. I haven't seen that option yet. Can you mount up stock brakes to it?

I have my Mopar BBK that I would like to transfer over to it.
G2 is the same concept as the PR and Tera offerings, beefier 'stock replacement' housings with choice of components and caster correction. When they were first released, people were posting about picking them up for under 4k fully loaded, think one guy said that his was closer to $3500 after a big mfg rebate. Prices have gone up since then, but still less than the competition. As I posted earlier in the thread, the last rebate I saw ended in July, but doesn't hurt to touch base with them to ask about upcoming promotions.

My gripe with that company is just that they ran advertisements on these axles for several years before it was actually released. Instead of building interest in their product, all they did was drive potential customers toward the mfg's they wanted to compete against. Bad business model there, probably why they have to keep the prices lower.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nthinuf
G2 is the same concept as the PR and Tera offerings, beefier 'stock replacement' housings with choice of components and caster correction. When they were first released, people were posting about picking them up for under 4k fully loaded, think one guy said that his was closer to $3500 after a big mfg rebate. Prices have gone up since then, but still less than the competition. As I posted earlier in the thread, the last rebate I saw ended in July, but doesn't hurt to touch base with them to ask about upcoming promotions.

My gripe with that company is just that they ran advertisements on these axles for several years before it was actually released. Instead of building interest in their product, all they did was drive potential customers toward the mfg's they wanted to compete against. Bad business model there, probably why they have to keep the prices lower.
Thanks! What am I missing? I see it currently listed at Q-Tec for $2K. Is that am empty housing with no axles, and gears?
https://www.quadratec.com/products/5...MaAgqvEALw_wcB
Old 11-26-2019, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Thanks! What am I missing? I see it currently listed at Q-Tec for $2K. Is that am empty housing with no axles, and gears?
https://www.quadratec.com/products/5...MaAgqvEALw_wcB
I'd say that is indeed just an empty housing. They are sure a bit deceptive about that listing.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, quadratec has a sub-area for the full Axle Assembly, and for the bare Axle Housing. You were looking in the bare housing area.

This is complete assembly with 35sp ARB
https://www.quadratec.com/products/52467_030X_PG.htm

Just saw that 4 Wheel Parts has some listed starting at $3599 with a Detroit Truetrac. $3950 with ARB. But of course, research further so you can verify the gear ratio, the type of shafts, caster corrected or not, wall thickness, etc., all are options.

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-26-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:05 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If buying an aftermarket axle to run big tires you should be buying a wider axle not one of these Chinese axles that are factory width. Call Fusion 4x4 or Dynatrac and have a proper axle built
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDirtman:
barongan (11-27-2019), J. Dub (11-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Which Axle Assembly