Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

axle slop

Old 12-15-2009, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle slop

my rubicon 44 has some movement in and out on the axle if you jack it up and pull in and out on the wheel or axle. it also has some wobble movement in the wheel and rotor when spinning. i had 5.13s installed by a reputable place. took it back to him and he thought it was the outside bearings. it still does the same thing. it also makes a terrible squeaking noise when turning. its not the rotors and the axles are not bent is what he says. please help
Old 12-15-2009, 02:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Guessing it's a bearing like your driveline guy suggests, but here is some more info.

This is from the faq's at Randy's R&P.

What is this whirring noise?
Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.

A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up.

Rumbling or whirring at speeds over about 20 mph can be caused by worn carrier bearings. The noise may change while turning.

Regular clunking every few feet may indicate broken ring or pinion gears.

Banging or clunking only on corners can be caused by broken spider gears, lack of sufficient positraction lubrication, or worn positraction clutches.

Rumble while turning may indicate bad wheel bearings.

A steady vibration that increases with the vehicle’s speed can be caused by worn u-joints or an out of balance driveshaft.

Clunking only when starting to move or getting on and off the gas might be loose yokes, bad u-joints or worn transfer case or transmission parts.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

front or rear axle..

Last edited by GoodysGotaCuda; 12-15-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Have you had any issues with the locker in the axle that is making noise?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
front or rear axle..
exactly....front or rear....two totally seperate systems and possible problems
Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 PM
JK Freak

one way to tell if its the wheel bearing is touch the rim and check for heat.

IMO, if you have wobble and sqeeling sound, im going with the wheel bearing. and you better get it changed out quick before driving more (if it is bearing) not only can u damage axle but also the axle tube. when it happened to me, the exploded bearing sounded like u describe, wobbled, and created massive heat, damaged axle tube. my guy was able to file the tube smooth to put new bearing in.

how long ago did you get the new gears installed. its very possible the mechanic messed up the bearing when he put the axles back in.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:44 AM
JK Newbie

its the rear axle, and i had the bearing changed already and its still doing it. its not a ruff noise, its a squeak like my brake rotor is dragging.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

sounds like a bent shafts. my rear axle was making similar noises. jack up the rearend. make sure the jeep is chocked and secure have someone put it in gear and see if the wheel wobbles. i noticed my wobbled causing my rotors to move and contact the pads creating a constant squeak. i replaced the shafts and all was good. if you dont feel comfortable jacking up the vehicle and puting it in gear. take it to a shop and have them do it on the lift.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by juicehammer
sounds like a bent shafts. my rear axle was making similar noises. jack up the rearend. make sure the jeep is chocked and secure have someone put it in gear and see if the wheel wobbles. i noticed my wobbled causing my rotors to move and contact the pads creating a constant squeak. i replaced the shafts and all was good. if you dont feel comfortable jacking up the vehicle and puting it in gear. take it to a shop and have them do it on the lift.
yup, if u already replaced bearing, then next would be shaft. i pulled my breaks off that wheel, but its not the best at driving. braking pulls to the side now. but i was concerned about damaging the rotor from the brake pads rubbing and the the wobble of the wheel.

Quick Reply: axle slop