Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back in JKU....need some ideas

Old 02-06-2018, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in JKU....need some ideas

Hey all, just back on here after a couple of years. Just picked up a 2018 JKU sport last week. I have had a few jeeps in the past and my last one was a 2012 JKU Rubicon, that I put a 2.5in lift on with some 35s mounted to aftermarket ballistic 18s, bumpers, trimmed stock flares, etc. It was a great jeep and looked really good but after a while I started getting a vibration/ shudder in the front on bumps. I know it was due to the heavier tires on what was pretty much a stock suspension with a cheaper lift.
With this new jeep, I am of course going to modify it with bumpers, winch, and maybe a roof rack. I will also upgrade the tires also but I am only thinking 33s on stock wheels. Something along the lines of a 285/70r17 no lift, or a 285/75r17 with no lift? or a small lift?
I don't wheel like I used too, mainly back roads, fire roads, mild trails....I know the 35s on the JKU will look better but which of these options would perform better and still tuffin up the look a bit? Im not wanting to get too crazy because I plan on taking this jeep on longer trips and don't want to loose handling.
Thoughts and experience would be appreciated.
Thanks
Darren
Old 02-06-2018, 09:58 AM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome,

I was told that because of how the jeep wrangler is currently set up one can sneak in the 33's without issues. I would suspect that it just depends on what the tire's actual measurement is. Most tire manufactures list tires at 33'' +/- even though they measure less/more than the 33'' benchmark. You're definitely aware of that can be done to the jeep as you've had one in the past.

I think one way to view this would be is what will the jeep be used for. we're not intending on crawling so a heavy duty system wouldn't be ideal for us, yet it will be nice to actually know the jeep will be prepared just in case. As a personal preference, I like the hardware lift over a soft or puck lift. However this doesn't mean a puck my not be used, just depends on the vehicle orientation upon lifting. But I use term "lifting" loosely as we're not official lifting the jeep but the desired suspension upgrade will lift the jeep nonetheless less.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Arrow Build Threads

Suggest looking at build threads in the forum. You may get some ideas from mine. Lots of miles/years, drives great, reliable, low maintenance, and very happy with it.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by SIRed
I know the 35s on the JKU will look better but which of these options would perform better and still tuffin up the look a bit? Im not wanting to get too crazy because I plan on taking this jeep on longer trips and don't want to loose handling.
I'd note that going bigger doesn't necessarily mean you lose handling, but you definitely have to address more, and address it properly in order to maintain handling, and that means spending more.

It sounds like you've thought this out, and to me it seems like you'd be better off just sticking to 33's if you are ok with that idea. There's ALWAYS going to be bigger out there....LOL. I can tell you my 37s look puny next to 40's that I often see out, much less 42s and 43s! There's not much difference in building for 33s vs. 35s, but if you're really aren't gonna need the function/clearance of larger tire, accepting all the added wear just for the "look" is kinda silly. All that really matters is you're happy with it and it suits your needs.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate the ideas!
Mr. T, Yeah I found a thread of builds showing off the 33s with little to no lift. And I did read over your build also! That sounds like a solid build and I am looking at a similar route. After looking I like the look of the 285/70r17 and the 295/70r17. From what I have read, I think I can go with either one with little to no rubbing (not sure if I can do the 295 with no lift...thoughts?). I would consider doing a leveling kit if I absolutely had too but would prefer not to do any lift. Just upgrade shocks.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:17 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SIRed
<snip> not sure if I can do the 295 with no lift...thoughts? </snip>
For the route I went (stock wheels, no spacers, 1" more down travel, stock bump stops, and the tires tucking under the stock fender lip at full articulation) 285/70-17 is about it.

The stuff in parenthesis is important, change anything and the answer may change. With no lift, the bump stops will tend to compress further -- more up travel is likely. But without the 1" longer shocks, the potential tilt of the axle is less. My guess is that these about balance each other out and and 285/70-17 is the max, given that this is going to get about the same type of use mine does.

Something learned over time (it's in my build thread) is that stuff that's supposed to (and initially appears to) have enough clearance, really doesn't. Not like I'm into high speed desert running and extreme trails, but eventually most of us will hit a washout going a bit too fast, slide off a rock suddenly, etc. It's easy to under-estimate how much the suspension moves and bushings compress.

Last edited by Mr.T; 02-06-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Back in JKU....need some ideas